Getting the famous MF30 heatsink?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if those are the sinks you were asking about, but they look pretty close to the ones used originally on Aleph 0 and subsequent Alephs. Later different sinks were used, but I always thought that those looked better.;)

I found them in an old Ahamtor catalog. The phone listed in catalog is 1-800-367-7588. Looks like another Diyaudio mystery solved.;)

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,390
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Peter Daniel said:
Check the Trading Post, someone in States was selling them.

rlim was selling some as a one time deal in the trading post (I got a few), but the deal's over. He might have some insight on getting them shipped from Aus however.

Are these sinks (one of them) enough for an Aleph5 (one channel)? I know Mark Finnis built a stereo A5 with a pair, but he never answered any of the questions regarding temperature in another thread. They seem about the same size as the sinks on the Aleph 60 (actually a little shorter), but the 60 was a monoblock if I'm not mistaken. Makes me worry. I'll probably proceed with an Aleph 30 until then (or something scaled in between).

They are nice sinks (appearance anyway.)

Rob

I believe MFinnis mentioned in his article that these sinks were "right at the limit" or words to that effect when used one per channel on an Aleph 5.

I will be using 3 of them on my Aleph 5, ThingyNess has the vendor info. for aquiring them.

I can tell you though that they are beautiful sinks and an excellent value.

Tony D.

Peter Daniel - I'm from Europe - so the phone number doesn't help me much - but I'm very interested about that heatsinks - the cube design is my favourite since I first some one of the Aleph's ... Any sugestions how to get some more infos about that heatsinks - particullary the price, availability, ...

Thanks in advance

Stabist said:
Peter Daniel - I'm from Europe - so the phone number doesn't help me much - but I'm very interested about that heatsinks - the cube design is my favourite since I first some one of the Aleph's ... Any sugestions how to get some more infos about that heatsinks - particullary the price, availability, ...

Thanks in advance

I did web search and nothing came out under Ahamtor name. I don't even know if they still exist. Those company was recommended to me years ago by Nelson Pass. Maybe he would know their current contact.

The old address was: 27901 Front Street, Temecula, CA 92590

Originally posted by relder Are these sinks (one of them) enough for an Aleph5 (one channel)? I know Mark Finnis built a stereo A5 with a pair, but he never answered any of the questions regarding temperature in another thread.
Sorry about that chaps ....... only because I must have been busy and not seen the question.

The Conrad sinks as above are slightly under what is really required for a stereo version. After 4 hrs of constant music the flange between the FETs is at 70C ..... which is just a little warmer than I would like. It works, you can do it, but I have to accept that the result is sub-optimal. :bawling:

The easy answer is to use 4x the 200mm deep versions of the same heatsink. this will make the amp 400mm deep cf mine which is 300 deep, but the additional sink will be just about perfect :)

Contact details for Conrad are on my website. they now have an e-mail address which I don't have here but will post tomorrow sometime.

cheers,
mark

The contact e-mail for Conrad is conrad.aus@bigpond.com - I got this from rlim, and addressed the e-mail to Julian Wales.

The price they quoted for 2 of those heatsinks + FedEx air freight shipping seemed reasonable, but not as nice as the price from that group purchase. "A major component of the price is the freight cost - there is a significant reduction per heatsink with larger volumes (esp. 25 kg +)." Also, the fact that I'm on the east coast USA doesn't help. :p

mefinnis:

When you say the result is sub-optimal with 2 heatsinks for the stereo Aleph 5, do you think sound quality is comprimised?

Possum said:
When you say the result is sub-optimal with 2 heatsinks for the stereo Aleph 5, do you think sound quality is comprimised?
No, I do not believe so, but only the likes of Nelson could really answer this, he has possibly looked at sonic performance over the thermal range for these devices - given he uses them extensively.

We are still well within the thermal rating of the device (up to 150C junction temp), the only real problem is children burning themselves, setting fire to the curtains and burning down the house, and the one real problem of a reduced lifespan for the FETs.

Nelson uses a very conservative operating environment for his devices (1) because it is good engineering, and (2) because he charges serious money for his products and people (read customers) can get really "funny" with random device failures ..... so he engineers to absolutely minimise these.

We are in the DIY world and we can do whatever we want, understanding the consequences. At 70C heatsink probably equates to 110-120C junction temp in a worst case scenario.

The thermal rating of these sinks is 0.25C/W. If we look at 2x the 200mm version (rated at 0.38) we get 0.19C/W, which should get our sink temp down to the high 50's C ...... hence this is what I would recommend.

You most certainly can build exactly as I have, knowing that you just gonna be a little hot :hot:

cheers,
mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.