Pass Aleph service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No sweat. Go to www.passlabs.com and look under Other/Download and it's all there.
Okay, maybe not all. Nelson didn't do the Aleph-X, he did the XA series. The Aleph-X was my fault. I started a little-bitty thread on that a couple of years ago. If you use the search engine here, you'll find it eventually. The Aleph-X thread spawned a couple of other little threads here and there. You'll stumble across one or two of those, too.
Aleph-M? Never heard of that one. P, L...sure, but not an M.

Grey

EDIT: Hmmm...I find that the service manuals for most models are no longer available. The Aleph 60 still has the schematic though. That one I checked. Presumably the Aleph 30 does also. If that's all Nelson has up, then that's the way it is.

shoot, for a while there, even the DIY stuff was in danger of being
pulled, and i don't blame him.

when i read in other threads, designers like Mr. Curl being treated
like dirt - i'm amazed we get the participation we do.

i'm not saying nothing should be questioned, but a little respect goes
a long way.

The way John Curl is treated here is shameful.
I remember one Big Name who came to this site with attitude by the wheelbarrow-full...he didn't last long because people would not bow to him. Fair enough. But I have never seen John act that way, even though he is (in my not-so-humble opinion) due more respect than the Big Name Who Departed. Yet people pick fights with him and waste time instead of trying to talk to him like a human being.
There are things to be learned and only a limited number of teachers. As has been lamented many times, there's only so far you can get reading the books. The things that are useful to the audio community aren't all written down, in part because they are only of interest to a small segment of the electronics world. In another thread, someone was wondering about noise in the Lovoltech power JFETs. Sure, that's a number that would be pretty cool for us to have on hand, but the intended market for those devices is computer power supplies. They could care less about such things. That's more the norm than the exception. We have to live with the fact that we're a niche market in the overall scheme of things, no matter how large audio looms in our eyes.
Our resources are limited. To abuse them is foolish, both in the short and long runs. There aren't many people like Nelson Pass, John Curl, Charles Hansen, Demian Martin, and Walt Jung. If you drive one away, there's not another waiting to take his place. Instead, you have managed to reduce our resources by ten or twenty percent in one fell swoop.
Idiots abound, however, and egos run rampant.

Grey

mastertech said:
I know Nelson Pass
hope he gets well soon, i know he must be upset over this violation of his IP

This time might be a guy, who loves diy audio,
that wants schematics and build one of these amps.

But how he plan to use all those schematics, we do not know.
What is odd, he does not tell, if he wants to build an amplifier.
Sure is, he will not build all these variations of Pass amps.

Best is if he sent an email to www.passlabs.com or www.passdiy.com
told what his plan is and asked for advice.

If Nelson Pass would be seriously upset every time somebody used his stuff
in a way that is not proper, permitted or legal,
he would never ever have a single good day in the rest of his life.

The way John Curl is treated here is shameful.

Grey,

I couldn't agree more with that statement! We are all very lucky to have people like John, Nelson, and other long time legendary engineers around here to ask our stupid questuions of. What other forum has these people..... The answer is NONE! For me its an honor just to be around these people and to be able to have contact with them. I think we all hope that both John and Nelson also realize that there are going to be a few low-lifes that they will have to tolerate from time to time. Hopefully our great moderators will catch some of these people in the act and eliminate their membership before we loose these important people.

Mark

P.S. This is taken from the Parasond web site for those that don't know who John Curl is......

"Knowledgeable audiophiles and audio designers alike consider John Curl, Parasound's analog design consultant since 1989, to be no less than a legend. The audio components he's designed over the years have, without exception, become cherished collectors items.

In 1974, his design for the ground-breaking Mark Levinson JC-2 preamplifier was responsible for the birth of high end audio. He went on to design the Vendetta Research phono preamplifiers. His $20,000 "Blowtorch" stereo preamplifier is considered one of the very finest analog components of all time."

There seems to be a presumption that Babylon_audio is up to no good. I don't claim to know one way or another. He has made a total of three posts so far, all of which request information. This, in itself, is not enough to condemn someone. After all, I've been known to ask a question or two from time to time and so have most others here.
I confess that I am puzzled by mastertech's wish that Nelson 'get well.' Perhaps I missed something. Is Nelson under the weather, or is this just another out of the blue comment?

Grey

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have done diy with the following Pass¡¯s enjoyable projects:

Zen, Zen V2, X- ZenV2, F1, BOZ, BOSOZ, J-Low.

Not any Aleph. Nevertheless, I have loved the Aleph service manuals as very valuable references for me to learn. Now, all have gone from the site. Pity. Meanwhile, I have got impression that many of us have abused the service manuals to make small or big money. Part of them through diyAudio . . .

I have always liked Nelson¡¯s short comments of full meaning. Sometimes, his short comments have made me confused, have to think, and open books. Nevertheless, I like to talk with this kind of man. Not with another type of men who always know all and explain long details to a young year old children.

I hope he will stay in Passlabs forum as usual . . .
And, hope we will try to open his mouth more frequently . . .

Regards
jh

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, it's a classic case of "tragedy of the commons". Pass Labs
is having difficulty with its IP rights on a couple of fronts, and
the men in suits are unanimous that posting the details of the
commercial product on the site invites this.

It's unfortunate, but there it is. In the meantime, the DIY site
and First Watt remain unaffected by this policy.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jh6you said:

I have always liked Nelson¡¯s short comments of full meaning. Sometimes, his short comments have made me confused, have to think, and open books. Nevertheless, I like to talk with this kind of man. Not with another type of men who always know all and explain long details to a young year old children.

I hope he will stay in Passlabs forum as usual . . .
And, hope we will try to open his mouth more frequently . . .

Regards
jh

I have impression that Nelson likes children soooo much....
he'll never abandon this forum,because of that.........
:clown:

Nelson Pass said:
Well, it's a classic case of "tragedy of the commons". Pass Labs
is having difficulty with its IP rights on a couple of fronts, and
the men in suits are unanimous that posting the details of the
commercial product on the site invites this.

It's unfortunate, but there it is. In the meantime, the DIY site
and First Watt remain unaffected by this policy.

Like I said in another post... It's too bad a couple of knuckle heads ruin it for the rest of us hobbyists!

I did notice that the DIYZone folks in Taiwan pulled their Aleph 1.2 clone off their website. Amazing how well they ripped the current X-amp chassis right down to the meter on front with Aleph 1.2 internals. I'm glad to see them, probably forced, to remove it.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.