Pass Aleph service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in 1983 i was running a small firm designing hardware logic ics with industrial specs
in silicon valey the reverese engineering was ferrced and along with it came alot of legal
hostilities there wasnt a week without a legal call threatening legal action for ip
infregement, i designed everything from scratch, i had no equipment to reverse eng anything
infact fab of chips where such equp existed was subcontracted to a fab firm
nevertheless ip and legal issues played a starring role in my bus affairs

cheers

The way John Curl is treated here is shameful.
I remember one Big Name who came to this site with attitude by the wheelbarrow-full...he didn't last long because people would not bow to him. Fair enough. But I have never seen John act that way, even though he is (in my not-so-humble opinion) due more respect than the Big Name Who Departed. Yet people pick fights with him and waste time instead of trying to talk to him like a human being.
There are things to be learned and only a limited number of teachers. As has been lamented many times, there's only so far you can get reading the books. The things that are useful to the audio community aren't all written down, in part because they are only of interest to a small segment of the electronics world. In another thread, someone was wondering about noise in the Lovoltech power JFETs. Sure, that's a number that would be pretty cool for us to have on hand, but the intended market for those devices is computer power supplies. They could care less about such things. That's more the norm than the exception. We have to live with the fact that we're a niche market in the overall scheme of things, no matter how large audio looms in our eyes.
Our resources are limited. To abuse them is foolish, both in the short and long runs. There aren't many people like Nelson Pass, John Curl, Charles Hansen, Demian Martin, and Walt Jung. If you drive one away, there's not another waiting to take his place. Instead, you have managed to reduce our resources by ten or twenty percent in one fell swoop.
Idiots abound, however, and egos run rampant.

Grey
Who is the BIG name with attitude? Tell me please

in 1983 i was running a small firm designing hardware logic ics with industrial specs
in silicon valey the reverese engineering was ferrced and along with it came alot of legal
hostilities there wasnt a week without a legal call threatening legal action for ip
infregement, i designed everything from scratch, i had no equipment to reverse eng anything
infact fab of chips where such equp existed was subcontracted to a fab firm
nevertheless ip and legal issues played a starring role in my bus affairs
cheers
An interesting fact about patents is that it really doesn't matter whether you design everything from scratch; you can still infringe on a patent that you've never seen. Often, patent writers try to make their patent as broad as possible, so that minor variations are still covered. If their patent is broad enough, your original design will be "in violation" even if it is not exactly the same as their patent. However, the basic principle of a patent is that even the narrowest patent is still valid when someone else designs the same thing from scratch. It's sort of an unintended consequence. The stated goal of patents is to protect inventors against theft of their designs, but the implementation effectively stops other inventors from reaching the same results given the same information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.