Lowther GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case you missed the facts in the "Initial listening...F2" thread. Jon Ver Halen, Lowther-America made a great offer for us here at DIYaudio. Take a look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=808294#post808294 This is your chance to join the elusive club for a fair price;) This should be of interest for all you Pass amp builders! (or owners, for that matter) Especially the F-club members should pay attention.

Steen:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You seem very excited. I might even consider stepping in. ;)
Only...what driver to choose? You might want to add a brief explanation of the most popular drivers, like PM2 is good if you want this and DX55 is nice if you want that combined with another that. Or would that be too simplistic for those beauty's?

/Hugo

You seem very excited. I might even consider stepping in.
Hugo, I dont know all the details about the Lowthers. But Jon Ver Halen does, indeed;) Take a look here:
http://www.lowther-america.com/ There is a nice description of all the drivers. The good thing is that Mr. Ver Halen agreed to let all drivers go, through this GB:) We dont need to agree on anything, other than passing 5 pairs.(hopefully 10 pairs as that is even cheaper) You can choose even the fancy silver stuff:) Or the second hand drivers for that matter:)

Edit, I consider a pair of DX3's for MJK's MLTL's. Or maybe the DX55's which NP likes a lot:)

A little more information

A little primer on the various Lowther drivers. Hopefully you will find this usefull.

The following are my thoughts as to a comparison of the various Lowther drivers to each other. When compared to other manufactures drivers they have greater resolution, speed and dynamics: even the inexpensive C series.

The A series (Alnico magnet) have a slightly warm sound to them, are quick, and have loads of low level detail. The classic Lowther sound.

The DX/EX series are faster, sound a little cleaner, lack a little of the low level information that the A series have. Except the DX4, which seems to do a bit of everything. The latest from Lowther.

The C series are a little more relaxed sounding, but still very fast and transparent compared to almost anything else. They also tend to have a flatter frequency response.

The 8" drivers have more bass, better dynamics, more efficiency. It is easier to equalize the 5" drivers to near perfect flatness, they have more extended highs, but not as much bass.

As you increase the magnet size you get more highs, better low level information, and a better "jump" factor.

I find that most of my customers who prefer jazz and excitement in their music love the DX drivers, those who prefer classical prefer the A series. (Broad generalization - but usefull)

The Silver voice coil seems increase efficiency and low level detail, but they weigh more and the highs are therefore slightly reduced but cleaner. Go figure.

All of this is just a nutshell. Feel free to call or write if you have a specific question.

steenoe said:
Okay, I did a little research for you;) Take a look at this :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=817022#post817022
I guess the C series is very good for the price asked;)
Most of us can play along with a pricetag like that.
I think I will take a pair of those C55's that NP thought would be great.
Thanks for the hint, Hugo:cool:

I also think C55 might be best bargin.
My guess is, it is basically same as the rather more expensive DX55.
This picture shows C45. And C55 would look just alike.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

choky said:
electrical?
none:devilr:

Neodym.
And does the magnet do anything special for a woofer?
With another material you just make magnet a bit larger.

What I think, they have made DX55 in some nice colours
just to try to get people buy this, instead of C55.
When in fact C55 is better price.

Left C45 Right DX55
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lineup said:

Neodym.
And does the magnet do anything special for a woofer?
With another material you just make magnet a bit larger.

What I think, they have made DX55 in some nice colours
just to try to get people buy this, instead of C55.
When in fact C55 is better price.

compare Bl ,flux ,etc...between D and C version

with thin paper cone like Lowthers have,even size of magnets is important,ya know-reflectivity from magnet surface....

electricaly (in fact-electrophysically ;) ) they definitelly are not same;
but-which have better money-goodie ratio, I dunno :devilr:

Status
Not open for further replies.