Thickness of heatsink's "meat" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2002, 01:15 PM   #1
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Thickness of heatsink's "meat"

Hello!

I am in a progress of building up a nice example of A3

I friend of mine suplplied me with 4 nice heatsinks - 2 of them ar (250x145x40)mm and the other one (300x145x39)mm - and I have a question about that 1mm between 40 and 39 - the difrenece is a consequence of the fact that the first heatsink has for a bit more than 1mm thicker "meat"; I plan to put them on all 4 sides and to improve heat flow they will be conected with 20x20 or 25x25 Al profile in all 4 corners. I guess that that 1mm can not have nuch influence on heat efficiency - in the meaning the transistirs on thicker heatsink will cool down a bit better; or that those 5cm of lenght of the other pair will do the same thing. Am I right or wrong??

Thanks!

Best regards

Primoz

PS: for a quite a long long time I would like to ask mr. Nelson about this: the original heatsinks from Aleph series - can they be bought anywhere or were they custom made specialy for your great looking Amps???
Old 28th October 2002, 05:01 PM   #2
The one and only

I vote for the 5 cm of height.

The original Aleph heat sinks were made by a bay area
metal extruder using a die that we own. They were
machined in Auburn, and anodized in Sparks, Nevada.

Somebody willing to put a few thousand $ into a die and
buy a few hundred can do the same thing.
Old 28th October 2002, 06:33 PM   #3
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Thanks mr. Nelson - I allready expected similar answer about original Aleph heatsinks ...

Btw - 5 cm of height??? Hmm - all four are allready 145mm heigh - and 'cause some reasonable facts they can't extend any higher
I mean - I got them free and I would like to use them - if I would like to buy new ones - in our country such heatsinks would cost me more than the whole electronic part of the amp - and 'cause I'm a student - every penny is important to me ...

If I understood your vote correctly - 30cm long ones shall have a bit lower temperature - but what about my idea to connect them in the corners with (25x25x145)mm piece of Al - wouldn't that be good enough for efficient heat flow from the heatsink with higher temp to the one with lower one?? And that after some time the whole 4 would be on same temp ...

Thanks again!

Hide this!Advertise here!