What qualifies a capacitor as "computer grade"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
"computer grade"?

What qualifies a capacitor as "computer grade"?
Simple....certification as kosher by a computer Rabi.

Actually the Peranders answer pretty well spells it out. I don't know that there is a set of actual engineering parameters, although capacitor lifetime and 105 degree centigrade rating would be good indicators. Capacitors designed for swiching power supplies have low ESR and low indutance and are usually excellent choices for audio circuits and especially power supplies. This was also true with photo flash capacitors a few years. The new technology of organic semiconductor capacitor are becoming produced by several manufacturers and are exceptional power supply capacitors.

Why does the term "computer grade" evoke the following terms for the cynic in me?

'" Industrial Strength"
"New and Improved"
"Advanced'
"New formula"
"Extra Strength"
"Delux"
"Now with (insert tradename here)"
" Now with 20% more ....."
"Controlled release"
" the most powerful .... that you can get withou a prescription"

Shalom y'all,
Fred

Attachments

• stark.gif
    stark.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 853
Re: "computer grade"?

Fred Dieckmann said:
Actually the Peranders answer pretty well spells it out. I don't know that there is a set of actual engineering parameters, although capacitor lifetime and 105 degree centigrade rating would be good indicators. Capacitors designed for swiching power supplies have low ESR and low indutance and are usually excellent choices for audio circuits and especially power supplies.

Sometimes I wonder if pcb mounted heavy duty caps are better than these big mamas, with long wires. Computer grade caps (those we talk about here, big with screw connections) are never(?) seen in amps. Has anyone seen classical computer grade caps in a commercial amp (except for Bladelius Designs Group)?

Screw terminal caps CG caps

"Computer grade caps (those we talk about here, big with screw connections) are never(?) seen in amps. Has anyone seen classical computer grade caps in a commercial amp.":Pinoc:

Surely you are joking right.......:Popworm:

I would say that the ratio of CG screw terminal capped amps to PCB soldered lug caps is about 50 to one, of what I have seen(for big amps over, say 50 watts per channel) :spin:

You must be having a little fun with us.:tons: What is Svensk for practical joke.:joker:

Screwed down tight,:hypno2:
Fred

Attachments

• swedishchef.jpg
    swedishchef.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 710
Re: Screw terminal caps CG caps

Fred Dieckmann said:
I would say that the ratio of CG screw terminal capped amps to PCB soldered lug caps is about 50 to one, of what I have seen(for big amps over, say 50 watts per channel) :spin:

I gather you are refering to high-end gear. I ment in general. You mean that only 2% of the amps don't have these caps?

FYI: Practical joke is in fact "practical joke" in swedish, never guessed it? ;)

Most of your late 70s minicomputers/microcomputers all used switching power supplies. However switching power supplies can still have computer grade caps. The picture shows a couple of large computer grade caps from a minicomputer circa 1984, with a switching power supply. I believe the power supply puts out somewhere in the 75A-90A range, at 5 volts.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.