Wow, another DIYZone Pass Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Impressive heatsinks.

(link removed by moderators)

Complete Aleph 1.2 kit for $483USD.

-David

Attachments

• aleph1.2.jpg
    aleph1.2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 4,401
Those aren't for order though. DIYZone runs huge group-buys through their commercial channel, and this is one of them. This usually means that less than 500 people will own these babies and they'll get them sometime between 6 months to a year in the future, after all the custom parts come in.

These also seem somewhat nicer than the usual clone rip-offs, just check out whet they're using. Vishay Dales and Rifa caps are standard for these guys. Too bad that they only seem capable of blatant rip-offs in design though. (But I have to say their Iris OTL headphone amps is pretty original)

Since I read through their descriptions, I can provide some highlights of what the copycat is capable of doing for an A1.2 clone kits:
4 BHC ALS40 33,000uF/100V filtering caps per channel.
HOLCO resistors in most places.
2KV toroidal with shielding can in each channel.
2mH foil inductors for CLC filtering.
Matched MOSFETs.
With the enclosure, weights 220 lbs per monoblock. Heavier than the X1000.
USD$483 is only one of the three installments so the total is about $1500 for two monoblocks.

It's a shame that they are copying Mr. Pass's IP. Could be making some nice products for people capable of putting together kits like that.

Having just found out that yet another of my stories has been pirated, I feel like ripping off peoples' heads and spitting down their throats. We'll see how they like 'ripping off' then.
People think nothing of stealing. Download music without paying for it? Sure! Movies? Of course! Anything and everything is okay as long as you don't get caught. Catch them and you're lucky if you can convict them of jaywalking. Hell, hackers get jobs with security companies after breaking into secure locations; essentially getting rewarded for being bad.
What happened to the concepts of right and wrong?

Grey

GRollins said:
Having just found out that yet another of my stories has been pirated, I feel like ripping off peoples' heads and spitting down their throats. We'll see how they like 'ripping off' then.
People think nothing of stealing. Download music without paying for it? Sure! Movies? Of course! Anything and everything is okay as long as you don't get caught. Catch them and you're lucky if you can convict them of jaywalking. Hell, hackers get jobs with security companies after breaking into secure locations; essentially getting rewarded for being bad.
What happened to the concepts of right and wrong?

Grey

TOTALLY different issues.

Mr. Pass is a very nice guy, from what I've seen in the forums.

However, most of the music industry is downright vile, and I'm none too keen on Holywood, either. Both treat most of the artists quite badly. (My dad has about two decades of "pirated" VHS movies, thanks to two really good VCR's and cheap VHS 10-packs at Wallgreens.)

Please do not confuse me with these vile people. I bet that they could have just liscensed the design, if they really wanted to, or had some electrical engineers modify the design to the point where it was no longer a direct copy. (Think along the lines of the Windows interface vs. Mac.)

EDIT:

I own no illegally downloaded music. I do have a pirated copy of a Rockapella CD I got from the library and ripped to my PC.

I just buy my year's CDs at the local store's 10-cent-per-CD sale.

I agree with spastic teapot.

I think here a cd is around 35 dollars, that is unrealistic and greedy IMO. When I was a kid it was 10 bucks for an LP. that was alot and I needed to experience more music than my wallet would ever have. We shared music, this is nothing new we had tape recorders and borrowed records then recorded them. Nothing has changed except the desire to stamp something out thats allways existed. The thing is, I think its this exchange of music that spreads the good word and probably helps the industry in general.

Luke said:
I agree with spastic teapot.

I think here a cd is around 35 dollars, that is unrealistic and greedy IMO. When I was a kid it was 10 bucks for an LP. that was alot and I needed to experience more music than my wallet would ever have. We shared music, this is nothing new we had tape recorders and borrowed records then recorded them. Nothing has changed except the desire to stamp something out thats allways existed. The thing is, I think its this exchange of music that spreads the good word and probably helps the industry in general.

The music industry IS insane, but I think we should stick to the original topic:

These people SUXXO4Z!

Theft is theft. Whether you like the person or approve of their pricing structure is no justification for stealing. You're just trying to rationalize bad behavior.
It's pathetic to listen to people weasel their way around the issue of stealing music. They almost invariably rationalize it by blaming the recording companies for this, that, or the other. They then go on to say that they really (really! just ask 'em!) support the band. Oh, I see. So that means that the offender wrote a check directly to the band for the lost revenue from the stolen music?
Listen to the sudden, embarrassed silence.
Golly, by this same logic, I think I'll just decide that Ferrari charges too much for their cars...then go steal one. Because, you see, I really support the fellows who work assembling the cars, it's just those terrible people in the corporate structure who jack up the price so high.
I happen to think Nelson is a nice guy. Others may have a different opinion. So does that mean that since I like Nelson it would be wrong for me to steal from him, but that it would be okay for the person who didn't like him to steal from him?
I trust that anyone with the maturity of a first grader can see how threadbare that rationale really is.

Grey

P.S.: You should look up the meaning of "fair use" before trying to bring it into this discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.