BOSOZ input DC offset tolerance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the upper limit for DC offset at the inputs of the BOSOZ... and what happens when the offset is above that value?

(Balanced inputs, same offset on both + and - inputs, circuit as described in Mr. Pass' article.)

I tried modeling it in PSPICE, but am not sure what to look for as I increase the input DC offset.

Thanks for your help!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
BOSOZ amplifies any error voltage occurring between +/- inputs. Even if the error voltage is a dc, it would be amplified. But it would be no technical problem because BOSOZ has the dc blocking output caps. Anyhow, I would avoid error dc voltages greater than 200mV (by rule of thump, assuming 20dB gain).

Thanks for the rule of thumb!

I'm not sure I understand what the effect is when there is excessive offset and why it needs to be so low. In the simulation, I could see the voltages changing and more current flowing through the FETs as I changed the offset. When I set the offset at +3 volts for both the + and - inputs, I expected to see some clipping in the output waveform. I didn't see it, but I'm afraid I just don't know what kind of distortion to look for...

Should I see some clipping or does the negative result of excessive DC offset exhibit itself in some other way in this circuit?

Yes -- from a common mode perspective -- if the offset is equal on both + and - inputs, then it shouldn't affect the output.

However, there is more going on in the circuit, isn't there?

The input goes into the protection diodes and the base of an insulated gate transistor. So, I suppose that these will place an upper limit on DC offset, but that limits it to... what.. around 5 volts? Above that, we'd see clipping and/or distortion, I think... but that's a pretty large offset.

The reason I am thinking about this is that I have a DAC chip that has a +2.6 volt offset for both + and - and want to connect it to the BOSOZ input. So, the choice I am pondering is: which is worst, a coupling capacitor or DC offset.

I was thinking that the effect of this 2.6 volt offset would be poor distortion performance. Looking at figure 10 in Mr. Pass's paper, I was wondering what the curve would look like for a 60v rail, but a DC offset of 2.6 volts. (Oh, for some test equipment so I could measure it myself!) Would it look like the 50v volt rail distortion curve because of the higher gate voltage?

If you were choosing between a coupling capacitor and a 2.6 volt DC offset, which would you choose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.