Treshold Stasis S300 Vs Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am happy owner of Treshold S300. I compared it to my recently finished Aleph 30 and in my opinion Aleph is better. Highs are cleaner and more open. I am thinking to use Stasis case and to house inside Aleph. :smash:
I am just wondering if heatsinking should be enough for Aleph. The case and the heatsinks are masive and heatsinks are roughly 12" x 8" x 3" on both sides. I am afraid to gut everything out and to realise that it wouldn't work, so please share your opinion.
Thanks
AR2

If those fins are really ~3 inches deep I'm inclined to think that they will work fine. As a contigency plan you could always bolt additional sinks on the inside of there is room. I 'think' I have seen Nelson do that on his new firstwatt chassis' too....could be mistaken though.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,166
I like that idea a lot.
Stasis is built so well and there is a lots of room inside.
I just love these big amps, and the way how they are built. That monster will never stop working. I guarantee that few milleniums ahad people will be looking and listening Pass amps in order to learn about our civilisation. :bigeyes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 said:
I like that idea a lot.
Stasis is built so well and there is a lots of room inside.
I just love these big amps, and the way how they are built. That monster will never stop working. I guarantee that few milleniums ahad people will be looking and listening Pass amps in order to learn about our civilisation. :bigeyes:
just use your Treshold ,say,for woofers or something

or sell it ,then use money for your project

I think that is almost sacrilege to dismantle it ;

hehe-just few thoughts-this is your amp.....

I was thinking about it, but it is not powerfull enough for my woofers. I feel kind of same - keep it, but again it will be just sitting there. Case is so nice that I just canno't resist in using it. I am using my 2A3 aps for mids so it doesn't work there ether. It is easy to carefully remove stuff and to preserve which I am planning to do.
Sale is not an option. :whazzat:
Choky posetio sam tvoj web site i odusevio se opisom Iskrinih uredjaja. Ja sam takodje imao neko od tih pojacala pre dvadestetak godina.
Pozdrav
AR2

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 said:
I was thinking about it, but it is not powerfull enough for my woofers. I feel kind of same - keep it, but again it will be just sitting there. Case is so nice that I just canno't resist in using it. I am using my 2A3 aps for mids so it doesn't work there ether. It is easy to carefully remove stuff and to preserve which I am planning to do.
Sale is not an option. :whazzat:
Choky posetio sam tvoj web site i odusevio se opisom Iskrinih uredjaja. Ja sam takodje imao neko od tih pojacala pre dvadestetak godina.
Pozdrav
AR2

hehe-then replace your woofers ;)

I repair electronic gadgets for living,and doing this ,I just stashed enough decent or just nice apparatus to make at least one decent system for every room in few houses .....
but-I have not enough time to finish that ,just soo called,project -not to mention that I can't split my self in so many rooms ;)

anyway-if your Treshold serves you more than well-just find some decent speaks and put it ,say,in bedroom or anywhere you can think...

who knows when you'll decide to use it more seriously....

tnx to kind words for my site's content

I'm glad that world is so small ;)

kako bi mi ono rekli :"govori srpski (hrvatski ,bosanski-nije bitno koji)
da te ceo svet razume........"

:clown:

you always have one (above anything else) -SMART solution -just send that old Treshold s*it to me for safe disposall ..... ;)

ps-I just checked your home page

nice ,too
:D

now I can think few more places where you can use that Treshold properly

some things are just waste to sell

proper camera,for instance-even if we have more modern gadgets ,appropriate for this days use,I don't know nobody sane who will sell Laica or Olympus Pen or some simillar piece of jewellry.....

cheers-wherever you are

On Stasis, transistors are mounted on 1/2 inch aluminum that is attached to heatsink. Both surfaces are covered with some clear gel. Obviously this is used to improve heat trasfer. Does anyone knows what kind of gel is this? I haven't seen this kind of gel, just a white silicon grease.
Thanks
Ar2

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 said:
On Stasis, transistors are mounted on 1/2 inch aluminum that is attached to heatsink. Both surfaces are covered with some clear gel. Obviously this is used to improve heat trasfer. Does anyone knows what kind of gel is this? I haven't seen this kind of gel, just a white silicon grease.
Thanks
Ar2

I didn't see thermal grease in clear "collor" ;
it's always whitish or,recently, in silver .

but-I can say that I hear few old techs that they used vazeline in old days for same purpose.:eek:

only Master can answer that fer sure :xeye:

Staleph 305

Done!!!
I am done with with my Aleph 30. Acctually it is crossover between Aleph 30 and Aleph 5. My rail voltage is 30V which falls right between Aleph 30 and Aleph 5. Since it is housed in Stasis case I call it Staleph 305.
Stasis was simply bult on block of 1/2 inch aluminum, with another aluminum block over it that holds all electronics and connectors, as well as holds heat sinks. I kept everything intact by removing that block and replaced it with another 1/2 inch aluminum block. Than I installed my output stages on that. I replaced original PS with my Piltron transformers two 400VA; 2x22V each.

Attachments

• c65t1778.jpg
    c65t1778.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 966
Boards are Mini Aleph originaly designed by GRollins and made by Brian GT, parts are from JLeaman, and mosfets from Anthony - Colomb :)mad: ), and Aleph and Stasis are designed by Mr. Nelson Pass. Thank you all - this is real collaborative project.
Here are PS boards - all together 12 x 22,000 uF - or 264,000 uF.

Attachments

• c65t1782.jpg
    c65t1782.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 951
It is a funny feeling doing something like this, I agree. My problem is that whatever I do DIY visually is not where I want it to be. Do not take me wrong, I am not too bad in metal and wood work, but still not where I would like to see it. To make this story wierd I was working on the case for Aleph and it was turning out great. It was taking months to complete, but what the hack, the pleasure is going there not to be there.
I just finished one case and it looked great, and I needed to complete the second one. So in the meantime I went to local audio store, where I usually stop by to see what is new, chat with friend that works there... They had this Stasis for a while on consigment - used. I knew from before it was $ 650.00 and I really didn't need another amp. I just addored the look of it. So now they told me the seller just wanted it sold and he was asking $ 300. I couldn't resist.
I brought it home, connected and enjoyed. It sounded great. I listen Stasis on all my systems, and while I was building Aleph. I had it in my shop while I was working. So in a sense it helped me build Aleph, :)
So when I was done with Aleph I compared, it to Stasis, Gain Clone, Hafler and my tube gear. I was just blown away with Aleph. Such a nice and open top end. I have to say there is nothing like it. After listening to it everything else seems distorted and covered. I have ribbons on the top as well as very sensitive mid speaker - they are 101dB sensitive each. They uncover everything. Stasis was very good but not as good as Aleph.
So I decided to put Aleph in its case and to have it as a part of my maine system. I really like the look of theat case, and it really seats nice in my system. I was very gentle in doing it so I could put it back if I want to. I even kept wiring together. By making a new 1/2 inch aluminum block for Aleph, it would take me no more than 10 minuts to put it back in the same shape. That original aluminum block holds everything - electronics, connectors and fuse holders. There a just a few wires to PS - which is consisted of two big caps and rectifier mounted on them. Wires are attached with nuts. To put it back I wouldn't even need to solder!
I will post some pictures.
I do not think that I would like to sell guts, but thank you for the offer. I might change my mind down the road, put Stasis back in the case, or do something else. Maybe even finish second Aleph case and put Stasis in it as Dennis suggested.
;)

After reading the above, I realy feel bad about my sins...

I ruined a Musical Fidelity P370 to house my first Aleph creation.
It was not possible to remove the guts cleanly...So another great amp was lost ...:bawling:

Then desaster struck and my home made amp was having a slight problem...pls see below.

Attachments

• p5270942_s.jpg
    p5270942_s.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 456
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.