Treshold Stasis S300 Vs Aleph 30 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2005, 06:10 PM   #11
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Added balanced inputs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c65t1780.jpg (84.8 KB, 769 views)
Old 26th December 2005, 06:12 PM   #12
Master Burner

Beast at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c65t1793.jpg (70.6 KB, 726 views)
Old 26th December 2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Old 28th December 2005, 02:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I agree with Choky! This is really sad to eliminate one great amp for another. The S-300 was a great amp.... I owned one for quite some time. I'd be interested in your the S-300's "guts" if you want to sell.....

Mark
Old 28th December 2005, 03:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
I agree with Choky! This is really sad to eliminate one great amp for another. The S-300 was a great amp.... I owned one for quite some time. I'd be interested in your the S-300's "guts" if you want to sell.....

Mark
Perhaps you can put the S-300 parts inside an Aleph shaped
chassis?

Dennis
Old 28th December 2005, 03:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, Thats exactly what I had in mind..... Hopefully he will part with them......

Mark
Old 28th December 2005, 04:25 PM   #17
Master Burner

It is a funny feeling doing something like this, I agree. My problem is that whatever I do DIY visually is not where I want it to be. Do not take me wrong, I am not too bad in metal and wood work, but still not where I would like to see it. To make this story wierd I was working on the case for Aleph and it was turning out great. It was taking months to complete, but what the hack, the pleasure is going there not to be there.
I just finished one case and it looked great, and I needed to complete the second one. So in the meantime I went to local audio store, where I usually stop by to see what is new, chat with friend that works there... They had this Stasis for a while on consigment - used. I knew from before it was $ 650.00 and I really didn't need another amp. I just addored the look of it. So now they told me the seller just wanted it sold and he was asking $ 300. I couldn't resist.
I brought it home, connected and enjoyed. It sounded great. I listen Stasis on all my systems, and while I was building Aleph. I had it in my shop while I was working. So in a sense it helped me build Aleph,
So when I was done with Aleph I compared, it to Stasis, Gain Clone, Hafler and my tube gear. I was just blown away with Aleph. Such a nice and open top end. I have to say there is nothing like it. After listening to it everything else seems distorted and covered. I have ribbons on the top as well as very sensitive mid speaker - they are 101dB sensitive each. They uncover everything. Stasis was very good but not as good as Aleph.
So I decided to put Aleph in its case and to have it as a part of my maine system. I really like the look of theat case, and it really seats nice in my system. I was very gentle in doing it so I could put it back if I want to. I even kept wiring together. By making a new 1/2 inch aluminum block for Aleph, it would take me no more than 10 minuts to put it back in the same shape. That original aluminum block holds everything - electronics, connectors and fuse holders. There a just a few wires to PS - which is consisted of two big caps and rectifier mounted on them. Wires are attached with nuts. To put it back I wouldn't even need to solder!
I will post some pictures.
I do not think that I would like to sell guts, but thank you for the offer. I might change my mind down the road, put Stasis back in the case, or do something else. Maybe even finish second Aleph case and put Stasis in it as Dennis suggested.
Old 28th December 2005, 10:25 PM   #18
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

O Tempora , O Mores!!

Old 29th December 2005, 07:39 AM   #19
Master Burner

Old 1st February 2007, 09:16 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

After reading the above, I realy feel bad about my sins...

I ruined a Musical Fidelity P370 to house my first Aleph creation.
It was not possible to remove the guts cleanly...So another great amp was lost ...

Then desaster struck and my home made amp was having a slight problem...pls see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5270942_s.jpg (79.5 KB, 409 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!