My new space heater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SOZ

My first amplifier ever!!! (built a BrianGT GC, not full DIY). Absolutely unbelievable!! Yes i'm running it single ended, and its only one channel but............WOW.

details:
1500VA 38V
392000 total uF
2 parallel 2.2mH inductors per rail
Irfp244
final rail 49V

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,183
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Since I first found these pages, I had to build it, its just way too cool. Much appreciation to Nelson Pass, and the many great people on this forum!! Now on to the other channel, which will put my Aleph2 on hold for another millenium; right now its just a big paper weight. Whatever, right now im listening to pure magic, through one channel!!! TOTALLY AWESOME

John

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,002
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It takes about an hour or so for the big sink to get close to unbearable, but its sitting atop my desk with no airflow. I think with a proper chassis it should be alright. We will certainly see.:devilr: In my initial parts quest I looked at these water cooledresistors. Probably would heat my 12x12 room a little quicker with a fan and a radiator.

John

Didn't you just love drilling and tapping all those holes for the power
resistors? that's my fondest memory of building the SOZ :)

Now you should really consider building a BZLS, so that you can run
the SOZ balanced. I think you will find it worth the effort. Plus you'll
have a great preamp to run your other projects.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Didn't you just love drilling and tapping all those holes for the power resistors? that's my fondest memory of building the SOZ
Well...... I cheated a little. The sinks had predrilled holes in it, and they just happened to be the right size. I initially wanted to mount the resistors with a little symmetry, but in the end, one screw with a few tiny washers turned out to be enough. With enough force they will move, but its solid and they make good contact. I was one of the lucky ones to get Kari's X-BOSOZ boards, eventually it will be driven properly. One question: With the Soz and my Aleph 2 cooking, I smell bi-amp. Will the X-Bosoz drive 2 amps at once, or do I need seperate preamps for each amp. I'm fairly new at this and still soaking it all in, but wouldnt driving two amps lower the output impedance of the preamp? I guess i'm equating it to an amp going from an 8r load to a 4r load. Not sure if im correct here.

John

Attachments

• soz18.jpg
    soz18.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 564
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well thats a relief, thanks metalman. As it is, the sound of the SOZ makes my spine tingle, even though its playing through a commercial bookshelf speaker. My previous experience with what I thought was hi-fi or least mid-fi was a Pioneer sx-1280. At close to 40 watts output for the Soz, it blows the pioneer away. It seems to have more control of the speaker. 1500VA may be a bit small, possibly, but it doesnt hum nor is there any heat generated by the trafo. I can only imagine with an Aleph 2 added to the mix; its sure gonna get the feet tapping.

the guinea pig:

Attachments

• soz11.jpg
    soz11.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 521

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
MEGA-amp said:
It takes about an hour or so for the big sink to get close to unbearable, but its sitting atop my desk with no airflow. I think with a proper chassis it should be alright. We will certainly see.:devilr: In my initial parts quest I looked at these water cooledresistors. Probably would heat my 12x12 room a little quicker with a fan and a radiator.

John

Congrats -- looks great.

Water cooled resistors! I never heard that such things existed. Definitely high on the wow factor, and possibly useful too!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.