ns-10 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
First, I would like to say that I am by no means of technical knowledge.
I have recently found a vintage ns-10 preamp, and when I tried it in my system - I was quiet amazed by the detailed sound. It did, however, tend to sound a bit on the dry sound. So....I ran some searches, and found this forum. I did also read previous advice, including from Mr. Pass.
I know that many people here have heard NS-10s that were restored. Any idea what I should expect following the mods? I understand that there is a need for caps upgrade /repair. What about an external power supply? Could anyone give me the specs for that?

I have also contacted Jon S. and will probably send my unit to him.
I did however wanted to get your opinion prior to embarking on anything here.

Thanks!!

Hi guys
Thanks for your quick reply. As I wrote in my first message, I did read these threads. Maybe some of what I wrote was redundant- However I would still like to get some input as to the sound of a current well taken care for ns-10.
Again, Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

OK...I went back to these threads and found what I was looking for. Thanks for redirecting me to it, and sorry for the (un-necessary) hassle.
I've had the ns-10 for 4 days now- it is incredibly detailed, but I'm sure it will improve once I'll send for a caps upgrade.
If you're interested, I'll let you know how it went. If not, thanks again for your help.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nvinyl66 said:
Hi,
First, I would like to say that I am by no means of technical knowledge.
I have recently found a vintage ns-10 preamp, and when I tried it in my system - I was quiet amazed by the detailed sound. It did, however, tend to sound a bit on the dry sound. So....I ran some searches, and found this forum. I did also read previous advice, including from Mr. Pass.
I know that many people here have heard NS-10s that were restored. Any idea what I should expect following the mods? I understand that there is a need for caps upgrade /repair. What about an external power supply? Could anyone give me the specs for that?

I have also contacted Jon S. and will probably send my unit to him.
I did however wanted to get your opinion prior to embarking on anything here.

Thanks!!

ns10 is not good for mods
in fact-is not good for anything
just sent that to me for safe disposal

ps.you pay postage,just becouse I made you a favor

nvinyl66 said:
OK...I went back to these threads and found what I was looking for. Thanks for redirecting me to it, and sorry for the (un-necessary) hassle.
I've had the ns-10 for 4 days now- it is incredibly detailed, but I'm sure it will improve once I'll send for a caps upgrade.
If you're interested, I'll let you know how it went. If not, thanks again for your help.

Hey Nvinyl,

Could you take a peek inside that Threshold box and tell us what sort of power supply it has?

Is it a CRCRC or somewhat similar?
:) :) :)

Choky.
No problem. I also ask that you will kindly accept a small fee for the service..
Let me know the going rate.

As for the power supply- As I said, I am not a technical person, so if that was a joke - I didn't get it (but I'm still capable of enjoying some jokes!).
If it wasn't a joke- I can post a pic sometime during this week.

What are the expected differences in sound following a cap/diodes upgrade?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nvinyl66 said:
Choky.
No problem. I also ask that you will kindly accept a small fee for the service..
Let me know the going rate.

As for the power supply- As I said, I am not a technical person, so if that was a joke - I didn't get it (but I'm still capable of enjoying some jokes!).

hehe-if you send me that piece of ok-I must admit-jewellery ,I will not ask you any fee for my troubles ;)

that was a joke

but ,what our mate apassgear wrote wasn't ;

if you feel capable to look inside and figure how power supply is maded,then do this for us

if not-mebbe you can make few nice photos of underside and above ,in area where xformer is located?

if you can't do that either -it's OK

you will gain some benefits with changing caps and diodes (only for some shotkys) in case that your electrolitics are pretty aged (and they are probably)

mebbe you will benefit more if somebody make you good shunt reg ,when we finally finish that saga .................:smash:

nvinyl66 said:

No joke, just that we are dealing with power supply issues for the NS10 on another thread and it will be nice to see or have a description of the PSU Nelson used on the original preamp.

So a pic of that portion where the transformer lays could give some clues.

Or maybe the Master itself could drop in and tell as about how he handled it :D :D

nvinyl66 said:

After 20 or more years lytics are usually dry and loose capacitance and they might even come to a short. So the first recommendation with vintage gear is to replace all capacitors (lytics) or even some times film type.

Today you will find better caps than were available on those years so it's a safe bet if you select good brands.

Cheep and good lytics are the Panasonics FC Type you can order those from Digi Key. Just open those blue cans and take note on the capacity sown on the caps. They will show something like 220u 50V or other values and do a list, you can post this list for us to say if we find it that it makes sense.

Include those of the power supply also.

One word of caution though, you may find some caps that are non polar types so make sure you take note of all the details shown on the cap cans. And while you are at it take a couple nice pics of the caned circuit which is the actual preamp module and post them.

We can guide you through this process.:cool: :cool: :cool:

This is what you may expect from changing those lytics, almost a new preamp good maybe for another 10 -15 years. A revitalized, more open and punchy sound meaning better highs, bass and luscious mids, it should unveil the sound.

After you change the caps it will take several hours of burning in to take full advantage of the said benefits, well worth the effort and time. :bigeyes:

choky
Thanks for the explanation.
I will do my best too take some photos and post them here - hopefully this week.
Just for my curiousity though, will you tell me why is it important - by that I mean that I wonder how come that this is in question (i saw that NP sent you guys a scheme of the ns10). Is this something that you don't know for some reason?

Well, I read apassgear's mail. no problem. I'll do it and send you pic.
the ns-10 was found in a vintage electronic shop, where I replaced if for...(take a deep breath now...) a sunfire symphonic reference preamp!
I took the ns-10 + an old (but not as old..) rotel integrated (to be temporaritly used a headphone amp...) in exchange for the sunfire (model 2002)! The seller showed it me, told me to read about it (which I did, of course) then return. I took it home for auditioning, and it never left it since.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nvinyl66 said:
Well, I read apassgear's mail. no problem. I'll do it and send you pic.
the ns-10 was found in a vintage electronic shop, where I replaced if for...(take a deep breath now...) a sunfire symphonic reference preamp!
I took the ns-10 + an old (but not as old..) rotel integrated (to be temporaritly used a headphone amp...) in exchange for the sunfire (model 2002)! The seller showed it me, told me to read about it (which I did, of course) then return. I took it home for auditioning, and it never left it since.
I'm glad for you

:D

btw-we "need" that pics and info just for better understanding of one almost history item
"our" shunt reg must be better ,anyway, than any sort of serial reg .

have fun!

edit:
another reason why we "need" that info is that we are pretty much sick bastarrrrrrdz,at least regarding new audio toyzzz:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.