Heat sinks for A-30 / Mini-A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all-

I have a question on heat sinks for a mini-A / A-30.

After looking long and hard @ the A-30's horizontal heat sinks I "think" these mounted vertically would work.

I am looking for educated guesses to confirm or deny.

The ones I have are rated @ .5c/w for a 3" section. Mine are 8.5" tall.

I will post a few pics.

Attachments

• img_2248 (medium).jpg
    img_2248 (medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 445
rabstg said:
Hi all-

I have a question on heat sinks for a mini-A / A-30.

After looking long and hard @ the A-30's horizontal heat sinks I "think" these mounted vertically would work.

I am looking for educated guesses to confirm or deny.

The ones I have are rated @ .5c/w for a 3" section. Mine are 8.5" tall.

OK, rule of thumb #1 says double the height, divide by 1,4 which gets us a 6" section rated @ .35K/W. Rule of thumb #2 says after 6" dont expect much more, so conservatively I'd say 8.5" piece should get you .30K/W, maybe .25K/W. Aleph 30 burns 100W/ch, so one sink per channel should give you a temperature rise of some 30C above ambient, which seems acceptable, depending on how hot it gets where you live .

Take

Re: Re: Heat sinks for A-30 / Mini-A

needtubes said:
Any chance you might share where you found these?

My semi-educated guess seems to think they would be ok.

You'd be amazed at what plating shops throw away as scrap or junk.

tja said:

OK, rule of thumb #1 says double the height, divide by 1,4 which gets us a 6" section rated @ .35K/W. Rule of thumb #2 says after 6" dont expect much more, so conservatively I'd say 8.5" piece should get you .30K/W, maybe .25K/W. Aleph 30 burns 100W/ch, so one sink per channel should give you a temperature rise of some 30C above ambient, which seems acceptable, depending on how hot it gets where you live .

Take

Rgr that and thanks. I thought they would but was hoping for a second opinion. If I have to I will turn down the bias a tad and listen.

I'm going to double that for the Krell KSA-50 clone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.