Top ten ways to better a Pearl ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the spirit of the earlier post: "Top ten ways to better an aleph" - I will try and launch this subject, something I think will be of interest for the many people that have build the excellent Pearl Riaa.

Here are my ideas - although they dont count to ten....

1. Using a battery for voltage ref. instead of Zener diode

2. oversizing the external PSU, using CLC og CRC filter, and bypassing all caps (also the onboard) with small polyprops. External PSU located far from the RIAA it self.

3. More BIAS to the 2SK170, by lowering the source rsistor from 22 to 18 ohms ?

4. Bigger/better caps for output coupling ?

5. Copper shielding of the whole circuit

Thats only five - any other ideas / suggestions ?

Cheers !
Buhl

More ideas

1. Match up the current for the 2SK170 and the 389. All mine were all over the place straight from the Q pack.
2. I used mumetal shielding for the box.
3. Blackgate NX work great on the output
4. Better signal wiring. First used DNM wire, replaced with XLO with very positive results.
5. After feeding it with a CLC, try raising the input voltage. The energy stored in those three 10K caps can juice up the circuit a little.
6. If using a LO MC, make a copy of the first gain stage to amplify. Tried a transformer, and it was not very good. Too much input capacitance with the four 2SK170's.

George

Hi !

Here is an idea I got from an article by Jean Hiraga:
Try lowering the voltage over the FETs ( and increase it over the bipolar ). You can go as low as around 3 volts. This reduces Igx , excesive gate current. It worked well for me in a Monster. Gave a more natural sound with more wood in wood instruments , more brass in the brass etc.

Thorsten ( another one )

Hans, I dont even get the idea of bettering the Pearl!! I have nothing to complain about:smash: The sound of the Pearl is just marvellous:) About better supply filtering: there is no supply noise whatsoever! So what would you make better?? CRC CLC whatever, if there is no noise at all, what difference would it make? If you have trouble with the Pearl, its probably in your grounding scheme:xeye: I dont think you can easily better this one:) Its about the most silent RIAA I have ever heard:) The soundstage is just outragous:) No humm, no hiss, no noise, if its connected in the right way :) :) I just love the sound of the Pearl!

Steen:cool:
Edit: You cant just drop the source resistor!! Your J-fets wont have the right working point!!

Now you tell me!

steenoe said:
Hans, I dont even get the idea of bettering the Pearl!! I have nothing to complain about:smash: The sound of the Pearl is just marvellous:) I just love the sound of the Pearl!

Why didn't you say this earlier, I have built a phonoclone, Borebely 419, and an Onoclone. All to better my two year old Pearl. Could have spent all this time playing records.
Seriously though, if one betters the Pearl I will give a blow by blow. Too early to say now. The Borbely is just finishing, and the Ono needs a couple chassis.
I found the Pearl a little flat dynamically at first. But the output caps, signal wiring, and step up all three were less than optimal. It is excellent sounding now. Might have wasted a lot of time and money.

George

Why didn't you say this earlier
I dont know:smash: I just know that the Pearl is right for me:) I dont think the Phonoclone or something like that will be as good as the Pearl:) I can only think of one thing with the Pearl, and thats the gain, that possibly wont be good enough for all systems?? Its good for mine though;) I just made the Pearl as it is supposed to be made;) I have heard those things about missing dynamics before, but I cant agree to that! The Pearl is more or less perfect in my system at least! The sound of it is just great:) No doubt:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
I dont know:smash: I just know that the Pearl is right for me:) I dont think the Phonoclone or something like that will be as good as the Pearl:) I can only think of one thing with the Pearl, and thats the gain, that possibly wont be good enough for all systems?? Its good for mine though;) I just made the Pearl as it is supposed to be made;) I have heard those things about missing dynamics before, but I cant agree to that! The Pearl is more or less perfect in my system at least! The sound of it is just great:) No doubt:)

what spks you have?

Here you go, Choky:) A pair of those pesky Response clones;) I did put in some other screws though:D :D They are veneered with Elmtree! What a work:cannotbe: :cannotbe:

Steen.:cool:
Ps I have a pair of Proac s1 clones also:cool: And a pair of Corals, now that I am listing anyways:D
The S1's are the best:cool: :cool:

Attachments

• clones_front.jpg
    clones_front.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 434
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.