a bosoz-X-CCS mic preamp Feasable????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie to amp building and I am gathering parts for my first and second amp (first is a small el 84, the second will be a aleph X). I was wondering if it would be possible to use the bosoz -x-ccs as a mic preamp with some changes? If not, would one of you guys be intrested in designing a X type of mic preamp? I feel this would be highly valuable to the DIY recording engineers.

What do you guys think? If you wern't to use this for your own recording you could always use it for measurement.

For those of you who do like to record, there is a website dedicated to DIY recording studio equipment. They even have a couple of DIY mic kits. I will find the site when I get home and post it.

Hi DJNUBZ,

I have often considered a DIY mic pre-amp to replace the Audio Buddy I currently use. I haven't felt too motivated because the AB is surprisingly good considering its price and construction.

Noise issues aside, I don't know if a simple X'd diff pair would produce enough gain for all situations required of a mic pre-amp.

The thought I've toyed with would be to build the low noise mic pre-amp circuit on the Jensen web site but substitute the main op-amp out of the Aleph Ono for the AD797 shown. You might want to add the inverting amp from the Ono as well.

If you do build something please keep us all updated.

Cheers,
Graeme

Approach a mic preamp the same way you would a phono stage. Have several different gains available and different loadings. Keep it quiet.
Some people like JFETs, some like bipolars. MOSFETs are pretty much out, I'm afraid. Tubes are good sometimes, but they are noisier than you'd like. Note that all the old classic mic preamps were tubes and people managed to get by--sometimes even making recordings that are still regarded as classics today. It can be argued that the tube front end was instrumental (ahem...) in making the sound 'classic' in the first place.
I was almost on the hook for a mic preamp earlier this year, but managed to squirm out of it. I used JFETs in the preliminary drawings.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.