Fortè Audio 1a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a Forte 1A not long ago and have also noticed that the transformer buzzes/hums. It is fairly loud when first switched on, but settles to a lower volume after a second or two. I don't think this is anything to worry about, but someone else may have a more decisive opinion on this.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Like most other toroids, the transformer hates DC on the line.
Try running it with a large capacitor in series with the line. I
usually use two big electrolytics back to back (say + to +)
with a power diode across each one to keep them from getting
too much reverse bias.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
tested ,somewhere from net

Attachments

• dcblocker.gif
    dcblocker.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 918
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I tried the above dc-blocker, but with 6,800uF/25V (small physical size) instead of the planned 10,000uF/50V. I arranged them for both F1 and BOSOZ.

When I turned on F1 and connected to J-Low (no others), about 90% of the buzz has gone from the transformer of F1 and the speakers. I could hear the very weak buzz when I brought my ear 50mm close to them. And, I connected all system and heard that the sound was cleaner, particularly with voices.

I had some experience of explosion of electrolytic capacitors. In general, I am very much afraid of using them whenever the use is related with over-voltage and reverse-voltage application. Nevertheless, they have been working well for continuous 6 hours. They were not getting hot. This means I might be no need to worry about another potential explosion hazard.

O . . . sorry for having interrupted the thread . . .

By the way, I expect that they will work also for Forte 1a. :)

Regards
jH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.