Is 400VA enough for an Aleph30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The thread just hooked my attention.

I currently own the same type of transformer 2x22V 400VA but I never thought to try use them in an Aleph 30/Aleph 3, because I knew that voltage was supposed to be 25V DC .That if I read correctly the manual :xeye:

Anyone so kind to advise ?

From my point of view 22x1.41=~31 V

Too much for Aleph3 but slightly less for Aleph 5

Am I so lucky to find some use for those babies ?

Thank you

choky said:
close enough for both
go to duncan's and download PSU designer,try with diff approaches- C bank,CLC , CRC and you'll see that you can build both with these donuts.
btw 1,41 is not valid for A class:clown:

I'm looking to build a PS for an Aleph 30 and playing around with duncan's PSU Designer II too. I could just use an 18V transformer and some caps, but if I get a 22V one and use CRC, ripple would be substantially less. Also I'm struggling with the question what value to use for the load. Anybody got a hint?

Take

[EDIT]Punctuation[/EDIT]

first hint-you can unwound and also add some (additional ) wounds to donut-very easilly;

Choky, Thats not always as easy as it soulds. Many Toroids with dual secondaries have the secondaries wound one on top of the other in a bifilar manner. On those you'd have to unwind at least the one secondary to get at the other to add or take away turns.

On the Aleph I would go for both trannies. Thgose Anatek trannies are actually pretty darn good for the $$!! I've had absolutely no mechanical hum from the two pairs I've used building KSA-50's. I would reccomend them to anyone to use unless they were after the best..... Then Plitron ......

Mark

Seems that i'm too idiot or too uneducated to play with the program. :confused:

@choky - could you be so kind to post a .psu file for this particular problem ? I can learn easier if I see the solution

From 22 VAC to not exceed 25 VDC .... I was unable to find out how to do it , and worse, still I'm too newbie to know how to interprete those graphs :mad:

This is it....

2'nd stupid question .Why is not valid ~1.41 for class A . Because of the high constant current needed by the amp ? The cap's are not 'charged' enough ?

BR

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:

Choky, Thats not always as easy as it soulds. Many Toroids with dual secondaries have the secondaries wound one on top of the other in a bifilar manner. On those you'd have to unwind at least the one secondary to get at the other to add or take away turns.

Mark
agree,my man; but-that is not always case (anyway I can tnk ya in name of original poster for additional info ;) ) ;
in case of adding several turns-it's not matter in which manner are wounded secondaries -you just add few turns and connect it in phase with adequate original windings

but-in casewhen two secondaries are wounded in bifillar manner and you need to unwound some turns.........PITA of work......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.