corcom line filters for Aleph 1.2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2005, 03:54 PM   #1
daly2k is offline daly2k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default corcom line filters for Aleph 1.2

I have been following the line filter craze lately and when I built my Aleph 1.2's back in 2000, I located at the primary input side of the 2kva Plitron torrid (for each mono amp) a corcom 6amp line filter that I bought at Fair Radio for $3. I have noticed a very slight discoloration on the case of these filters. A quick calculaton is that at 120v and 6 amps rms gives 720 watts ac but since they mainly filter out hash at very high frequencies I didn't concern myself with the fact that the alephs idle at 500watts dc. My concern (lazy way of doing this) is to find out if anyone else uses these filters and if I may have under rated them. I don't want to tear into the amp and jumper them unless I have to do so. These are chasis mount designs.

My second question is about these mysterious Bybee quantum purifiers that cost $75 each which can be soldered between the diode bridge and the caps eliminating switching noise? Has anyone used them? Do they work? Or are they a carefully wrapped inductor? I am using the politically correct HEXFRED diodes for my amps.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th November 2005, 06:06 PM   #2
The one and only

Don't know anything about the Bybees, but I am sceptical
of any part which is supposed to work anywhere.

You should be using much higher current rated filters - I suggest
a 20A rating.
Old 18th November 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
What good is 2 kilowatts of toroid with 7 amp filters ?

I am using 20 amps dual line Shaffner filters on 220 Vac mains, for 2KW separation toroids. Each of the 4 separation toroids has its own filter.
The fuse limit per phase here is 16 amps.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...786#post504786
Old 18th November 2005, 07:46 PM   #4
daly2k is offline daly2k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default corcom filters for aleph 1.2

Nelson and Jacco, thanks for the quick response, I found some 20 amp filters at www.fairradio.com and will get them. I can use these 6 amp filters for my house phone line to get rid of telemarketers. thanks, dave
Old 21st November 2005, 08:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Rating of Corcom filters

Corcom filters are rated for peak current of 6 times their rated current (at least that is what their tech rep told med about 3 years ago).

It is hard to test what sounds best wrt current rating of filters, because the filter changes so much if you go for a different rating. However, I have had great success with low current rated filters. The added benefit of low current rated filters is typically that the internal inductive elements have higher values.

Your mileage may vary.

Petter

Hide this!Advertise here!