corcom line filters for Aleph 1.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been following the line filter craze lately and when I built my Aleph 1.2's back in 2000, I located at the primary input side of the 2kva Plitron torrid (for each mono amp) a corcom 6amp line filter that I bought at Fair Radio for $3. I have noticed a very slight discoloration on the case of these filters. A quick calculaton is that at 120v and 6 amps rms gives 720 watts ac but since they mainly filter out hash at very high frequencies I didn't concern myself with the fact that the alephs idle at 500watts dc. My concern (lazy way of doing this) is to find out if anyone else uses these filters and if I may have under rated them. I don't want to tear into the amp and jumper them unless I have to do so. These are chasis mount designs.

My second question is about these mysterious Bybee quantum purifiers that cost $75 each which can be soldered between the diode bridge and the caps eliminating switching noise? Has anyone used them? Do they work? Or are they a carefully wrapped inductor? I am using the politically correct HEXFRED diodes for my amps.

Thanks in advance

Rating of Corcom filters

Corcom filters are rated for peak current of 6 times their rated current (at least that is what their tech rep told med about 3 years ago).

It is hard to test what sounds best wrt current rating of filters, because the filter changes so much if you go for a different rating. However, I have had great success with low current rated filters. The added benefit of low current rated filters is typically that the internal inductive elements have higher values.

Your mileage may vary.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.