My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I actually have designed two PCBs, one for a prototype split rail version (which is the one everyone has seen so far).

The other follows the single supply (original) schematic. :)

They should (as far as I can tell) actually be very close to eachother in terms of performance. I would actually expect more from the split rail version. :) But I don't know a dang thing about this, so don't you dare listen to me. :)

I will post it if you like.

Cheers!
Russ

Why we do not build with the NS10 original design ?
Everyone is welcome to tune in, Thomas:)
As for the partslist for the original, I really would like to see that too. Since the partslist didn't surface yet, I doubt it will. For now, there will be some guesswork involved no matter if you build the dualrail supply or the singlerail supply.

Steen:)

Re: Just Want More Clear Understanding

thomasfw said:
Dear All,

As NS10 has so much good recomendations/reviews and classificed as a "State Of Art".

Why we do not build with the NS10 original design ?

Where I can find the "Part List" for original design ?

Thanks !

Thomas

Nelson, the Master, did post the topology of the circuit, he does not have the original schematic.

The post shows a single rail without resistor values using MPS6571 for Q1 and Q3 and 2N4250 for Q2. Then Nelson tipped a replacement for Q1/Q3 would be a MPSA18. I checked on the last one and it is an almost identical replacement from On-semi with better voltage ratings.

From my point of view a single or double rail wont make a difference but of course the selection of active devices will sound different.

Tom (tmblack?) on his last post on this thread said he tried a JFET for Q1 but he was back to a JBT because it sounded more neutral to him. Have a look to his posting to read his own words.:cool:

Originally I used a 2n4250
Thanks, Nelson:cool: I etched 4 boards yesterday, and will try and stuff two of them today. The boards are really cute:) I will post a pic, when I get home. The MPS4250, will have to wait a bit though. Maybe I will just throw in a substitute, to start with.
BTW, that link you posted is great, Tony. There is also projects you can build:D :D

Steen.:)

NS10 PSU schematics

Hi Steenoe

steenoe said:

Yep, let them PDF's come rollin':D :D I have the psu's for testing made up allready. Its a Zener/emitter follower with a CCS (J511). The psu was developed in the psu department some time ago, by our friend Alcaid, with the help from other authorities.
Have a look:) (Cant help it Tony, I just love to watch them boards grow on my table:D )
Russ, thanks a lot for all your work on this:) Lets hope it sounds as good as it looks:cool:

Steen.:)

First of all I´d like to say thanks to all people: Russ, Steenoe, Apassgear, Chocky, et alli who are contribuiting to this project. I have a BOZ playing for some years and would like to try a new preamp and this seems very promissing.

Is there a NS10 PSU schematic around I´missing? What could be the trafo VA rating?

Thanks in advance,

JC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.