My Take on X-BOSOZ

Russ,

I've built two different power supplies for my preamp. The one I'm attaching here is the one I preferred overall, but the differences were pretty minor.

One note, the zener diodes indicated on the schematic represent a series stack of zeners adding up to the indicated values. It isn't necessary to hit those exact values, +/- a few tenths of a volt on either side are fine.

Also keep in mind that I was going for a full-on, no-holds barred approach to this powersupply. If space on the board is a problem, reduce the CRC pi filter down to a single capacitor per rail.

Attachments

• ps-circuit-discrete regulation.jpg
    ps-circuit-discrete regulation.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,641
This is the other supply, which was only slightly behind in performance (a slightly higher level of noise at higher frequencies). But it can probably be built with less pcb space.

Again, the pi filter can be simplified to save space.

Attachments

• ps circuit chip regulator.jpg
    ps circuit chip regulator.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,316
One question answered

Looking at the power supply, it is clear why those coupling caps are needed. I thought the dual rails were at the same voltage.
Dummy question on power transformers. Guess the dual secondaries are used so that one side each is used per channel. So is it two dual secondary transformers or is it four?

George

Re: One question answered

Panelhead said:
Dummy question on power transformers. Guess the dual secondaries are used so that one side each is used per channel. So is it two dual secondary transformers or is it four?

George

Actually looks like its 3. You need 60VAC for the pos rail, so that's a single xformer (using both 30vac secondaries in series), 2 for stereo supplies. You need -15vac for the negative rail, so that's a single xformer (using a single secondary for each channel) for 2 stereo supplies.

Actually, the negative rails are reported at -9vdc as per kari's boards and these supplies give -20vdc. Never really understood the variation in negative supplies but there you have it.

Hi Russ.
Consider making the tracks from C3+ and C4- as wide as possible.
(All the way to the terminal block at the outlet.)
If you go db-sided, you might be able to squeeze in some terminal blocks at the input. The only toplayertrack, would then be
one of the tracks going to the block for AC.
Otherwise it looks pretty.

Should I call the preamp a "X-BOSOZ" or a "CCS-X-BOSOZ" or something?
"X-CCS-BosoZ" taste the best to me:) Although you would miss the "CC" part that way...

Steen:cool: