Best Pass amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built an Aleph 5 (so it's my favorite for now). I have an Aleph 4 in process which means the main boards are stuffed and tested. I also have the chassis nearly finished. I have boards ready for the Aleph 2 as well. After that will come the Mini and the A30 and the Aleph X. Then I should be able to answer your question more fully.

SteveA

Hi Mike,
I like my mini better than my 30 for a few reasons. Mainly I think it sounds better.

I'm currently building a BOSOZ, all home done.(long project)

Next is an Aleph X with~ 31-32v rails and an old ~3kva EI traffo. My heatsinks are all saved up and um, I'm gonna use a lot of output devices. Probably a number somewhere in the magnitude greater than that of a Pass commercial amp! My garage heater doesn't cut it as I get older:hot: (longer project)

Mike, you suggested I make something big. Will that suffice?

Why on the axe spreadsheet does it NOT reflect a power increase at rails above around 28v. The sheet seems to max out around 144w into 8R. Do I have an old sheet??

moe29 said:
The best amp is the amp that one finishes... and learns from : )

(i prefer my Aleph 2's)

((i learned the most from my Zen)

:devilr:

I have built most of the Zens. Some of them sound pretty good. Most get taken apart for other projects. Good thing he goes step by step so he doesn't loose me. There is a lot to learn. Dual differential cascoded jfet bridged balanced single ended class A. Sounds like a new Aleph-X.

I still like the little Alephs (A3, Mini-A). I am sure there is something better on the way.:D

Hi!

I built the Zen, a Balanced 25W version of Zen, Aleph5 and the Zen Lite. Also the BOZ and BOSOZ preamps.
For me and for many of my friends and listeners the Zen Lite was absolutely the best!!!
I know this question is matter of taste, but so many peoples likes the Zen Lite? It is thought-provoking!! :)
I would like to build the F2 yet. I think it will be even better......

Greets:

Tyimo

Example, Zen amp would certainly won't work with Apogee speakers.
Fcel, you are right, ofcourse. Bringing up the Apogee's, they are too hungry for most amps;) They doesnt even sound as good as their reputation:) Big and hungry as they are, I dont kind of think they sound all that great. As NP stated a lot of times, you need the right speakers for a certain amp;) Most poweramps like easy driven speakers:) Take a look at these Apogee-clone roomdividers, a friend of mine made! Every poweramp connected to those, run hot like h#ll:D

Steen.

PS. I guess a monster Krell would be the thing for those:D

Attachments

• apogee_front.jpg
    apogee_front.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,072
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.