Building an Aelph 1.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coulomb said:
Thanks fcel, 57 Deg. that is totally cool, pardon the pun. I was hoping to come in under 55 Deg, but 57 Deg. is quite acceptable.

Anthony

No way you are going to reach as low as 57 deg. When you connect heatsinks they start acting as one. For example when you look at PedroO his construction; most side fins of his construction can not breath freely any more.

As well as when you have one heatsink this heat sink can use all cool are around itself. When you have two heatsinks near each other they have to share the are around themself -> higher tempratures!

I experience this with two heatsinks which I bonded side to side. It should have been enough (when you look at the specs) but the fact was when I run them close together (like in a case) the temperature was higher!

Edwin

PedroO,

Main problem here will probably be that the heat transfer will be inefficent as heat is transferred close to two of the sink and the third is connected through the 2 copper (?) bars. The heat possibly will not be transferred quick enough from the fixing point position (through the heat conveyors of 5 by 25 mm or similar) to the last sink and that sink will reach a lower temperature than the others and they will in turn reach higher temperature than calculated.

IMHO you need more distribution of the heat.

/UrSv

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Pedro,

It looks like your making good progress on the amp. It looks real good so far. Although I am wondering how you’re going to get convection air flow through the two center sections of the heatsinks on each side of the amp. Do you have a plan for that?

Rodd Yamas***a

I design the sinks (and PSU) to dissipate 150W/ch.

So the temperature elevation would be around 25ºC.

Maybe I can't equalize the heat distribution in all sinks, but to me only a real test and a termometer can say I'm rigth or wrong :)

lots of guys think the heatsinks are OK but when they fire it up :hot:

another thing:

if the sink becomes too hot ( I doubt it) I can allways put a fan under it. these sinks are designs for it. just see the slots is the edges: they are for putting a metal sheet to restrain the air flow.

Or maybe water cooling :cold: those holes are asking for it:D

roddyama

Sure!

do you have Autocad?

Attachments

• aleph 5_2.jpg
    aleph 5_2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,204
Anthony,
FYI, the 57 degree calculation was done by Herm.
As for the waving look of the heatsink, doesn't the new "Viola" amp has that look? Don't know how it actually looks in real life becasue I haven't seen one in the store yet.

PedroPO
Regarding Acad, you have mentioned somewhere before but as usual I can't find it. My question is how do you convert from Acad to be able to post it here. You said something about convert to bmp and then use photoshop to convert to jpg? Could you be more specific please? I want to try to see if I can convert it too ... just for the fun of it. Software I've got are Adobe Photoshop, IrfanView & Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

fcel

If you have autocad, just type at command line - bmpout - then a popup "create BMP file" will appear. just that. If you dont like command line then try File-Export-Bitmap

roddyama

Do do you want the dwg or bmmp is just fine for you?

fell free to ask. I don't know if I can ppost dwg in the forum but I'll email it to anyone who want's it.

Tall feet wil be a must, I'm sure. let's wait for a temp test. maybe this weekend:D

:cool: hey i'm building a 1.2 but i'm having problems finding big enough caps for my PS. i bought pcb's from kristijan and he suggests 8 x 68000uf at 75V. those are hard to find. i have two questions - first - does anybody know where to find any that big? and second is - would it be better to have more smaller caps to equal the same capacitance because of the slow response time of the bigger caps?? :confused: i thought i read nelson saying that if that was a concern, to use a combination of big and small?? which method would be better??? :eek: :confused: any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks greg

Hi Pedro,
I have been watching your project proceed along, but I have one question. How does the heat from your output transistors transfer to your rear heatsinks? These are the ones with the toroids on them. I don't see any massive piece of copper or alumnium connecting all of them together in your case. My layout for building the Aleph 2's is similar but I am using different, much larger sinks. It would seem to me that you could get much better heat transfer if you somehow connected the large flat face area of all three sinks together. In my case there is going to be 2 transistors per heat sink and my wiring will be a bit long to the last sink, but not overly long.
Mark

OK so here is a question, which would you prefer?

1) A seperate Power Supply driving two Aelph 1.2 Mono Blocks? Stereo = 3 units.

2) Each Mono Block has it's Power Supply integrated in the same Chassis? Stereo = 2 units.

3) Each Mono Block has a seperate Power Supply of it's own in a second Chassis? Stereo = 4 units.

Your thoughts anyone?

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.