X350 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then why do you not download the X350 manual from the download page of Passlabs.
And do a search :
NP posted lots of info on the components used at Passlabs.
Capacitors used previously: Mallory, now Cornell Dubilier.
The manual states "big cans", that will make them computer grades.

Buying a new or used one? No problem. Used, see Reno Mark (frequently seen on ebay with Pass gear--but also has his own website--currently listing an X350 for sale...hint, hint). New, see any current Pass dealer.
DIY? Surely you've seen enough snippets by now to be able to cut and paste a 350W "X" amp. First, divide the wattage by four. This tells you how big each side is--i.e. a little less than 90W/side. Now, build two 90W amps and glue them together back-to-back. Use any of the differential variants that have appeared in this forum for a front end, although you may need to feed 'em steroids, depending on which one you choose.
Okay, so now you need to build a power supply. That's not so hard. You'll be looking at rails something on the order of 40-45V. That's no problem, look at all the people who've built Aleph 2s. To make life easier, you won't need quite the current capability, although no one is going to fuss if you just 'accidentally' happen to run the amp up a little higher into class A territory.
Poof!
Instant X350.

Grey

K-amps said:
I am also interested in the X350. What are the DC rails? Is is a "bridge/ balance design" i.e. both sides hot?

Can it drive a nominal 2 ohm load?

thanks!

If some people hadn't abused NP's generosity we would by now be discussing/building the X-amps as designed by the Master...PassLabs now lists these amps as "Discontinued".

K-Amps,

Yes the X-350 is a balanced bridged amplifier.............It should be stable into two ohms. I've seen it drive all kinds of loads from Magnapans to Sound Lab electrostatics.

As for rail voltages I would hazard a guess of abour +/- 50 volts accounting for losses.

Regards,

Jam

jam said:
K-Amps,

Yes the X-350 is a balanced bridged amplifier.............It should be stable into two ohms. I've seen it drive all kinds of loads from Magnapans to Sound Lab electrostatics.

As for rail voltages I would hazard a guess of abour +/- 50 volts accounting for losses.

Regards,

Jam

Thanks Jam.

Are there any specs for it into 2 0hms? I know the pass labs site says current limited to 20 amps... so does that mean I can get a max of 950 watts into 2 ohms before the limit begins?

Also what is the class of output? High bias? SE? Push/pull class-A?

What is the idle bias?

thanks!

Oh yes... compared to my bipolar Krell KAV-250a, what differnce in sound do u think I'd expect?

K-amps,

I assume you can get close to that if only one clannel is driven, the power is limited by the transformer (1500 VA).

I believe the amp is class-A up to about 40 or 50 watts which is fairly high bias and the output stage is complementary push-pull.

I am not what the bias current is but I believe the unit dissipates about 400-500 watts at idle.

I have tried the Krell and the only advantage the Krell might have is slightly more slam in the bass(but is it real). The Pass otherwise kills the Krell IMHO. Just a lot more musical, less smear, less sibilance, more depth.....and the list goes on.

You owe it to yourself to hear one.

Regards

Attachments

• x350_5.jpg
    x350_5.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 453
Jam,

I tried Nelson's other amps. Loved the 5x5 adcoms, but not the 5802. It smears the music. The highs do not sparkle, they kind of blur together... akin to looking out your window while it is raining... I have always had issues moving away from BJT's. the krells do not give much to fault... albeit not saying they can't be bettered...

I cannot hear an X350 anywhere near... so I am going to have to take a leap of faith.

K-

Hi Kamps,
that 20A limit is presumably a peak limit.

The max peak power into a 2ohm load is Isqrd*R =20*20*2=800W.
The maximum rms power = peak power/2 = 400W.
But your speaker has a 1.5ohm minimum, so theoretically, your maximum rms power is 300W at the frequency that the 1.5r occurs.

The Krell fuses (PSU supply rail fuses?) must be allowing a minimum of 75Wrms into your 1.5r load, but more likely nearly double (15Apk) or quadruple (20Apk) this to blow the fuses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.