mini-aleph versus aleph-3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has someone experimented with the mini-aleph side-to-side with a pass aleph-3?

I wonder how the differences in sound quality can be described between these 2 same designs using one pair instead of two pairs of output transistors.

I guess there will be some extra smearing in the sound when using pairs parallel. But otherwise: why should super amps using 24 pairs or more in parallel sound so good?

Best is:
* using same components quality.
* using same idle current and voltages.
* judge within same power envelope (say first 10 watts)

Or in other words: when no more power than 10 Watts per channel is required (easy 8 ohm load with high sensitivity) would the mini-aleph always be a better option, not only theoretically but also tested in practice?

To say in terms of mr.layman : it depends.
For an 8ohm high-sensitive load I´d personally go with higher voltage rails than that of the mini-a ->more power into 8ohms.
If that is too much power (dissipation) for your taste/needs you can always lower the bias (but you always have the option "pumping the jam" up)

greets

I have done just that!,

my amps are both an mini with a a30 front end <and> an a30 with an a3 output section. The Mini uses IRF150 +-17v and the a3 with irfp140+-23v, both with BrianGT boards (thanks Brian..very nice). They sound about the same to me in almost all respects. I will have to say that I like the mini better, for normal listening it sounds just a wee bit nicer on the Infinity Emits I'm using right now...smoother maybe? The a3 gives more level so its a toss up for me. If you had really efficient speakers I'd build a over-sinked mini with room to grow. Or build 'em both!

Marc

edit: i just reread your post. Sorry, my voltages are different and parts similar quality. I see no reason to use more devices on mini voltages and every reason to use more devices on a3 voltages, unless you want to run risk and can get rid of the heat.

At lower levels they sound very much alike. It is the same circuit. The MOSFETs make only a very little difference (from irfp 244 to some fairchid HUF 515 watt monsters). I built 8 mini-A's and 3 A-3, A30 varients. I ran voltages from +/-12 to +/- 28 and 5 places in between. I changed the bias from 1 to 3.5 amps. I also played with the current source. That is what is nice about the Aleph, you can build it to suit your taste.:smash:

Afer all the testing I said to myself, Why am I doing this? Mr. Pass has done it before.
If you are going to build a mini-A let me know. I have some caps for the power suppy that came from Dale's moving sale.:D

Mini_A VS A30

I've build both the mini A as well as the A30. The Mini_A has a great performance especially when you run the mosfets between 30 and 40W dissipation.

The A30 simply has a bit more punch and with my SEAS Thor speakers it display's more stability and ease.
I was planning to build the X600 for the Thor's, but the A30 sound so damn good that I never finnished the X600.

This is my A30:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/89939-new-a30-has-started-sing.html

I hope this helps

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It depends on the bias and supply voltage obviously.
Let's say you have single output transistors, 1A bias (470mV over 0R47) at +/-18V rails. That's a total power draw of P=U*I=2*18V*1A*2=72W for two 18V polarities at 1A each for two channels (ignoring the few mW of power dissipated by the front end).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.