Amp for Raven R1, R2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone recommend a great amp to pair with the Raven R1 or R2 ribbon drivers. They present a mostly resistive load of 2.5 ohms and require very little power. I would prefer +4 balanced inputs. The source is a Behringer dcx-2496 crossing at 3K.

I'm not sure what type of crossver is being used, but I have a pair of Raven 2's that I have been running for about 4 years without issue. From time to time they do see ear splitting volumes for short periods.:) I am using a D'Appolito designed crossover at 1800 Hz.

http://www.zalytron.com/Schematics/991033Z_A.jpg

I've never had a problem. I think that any low freq information is destructive to them. They really need to have a high order crossover to be safe. But ribbons are very cheap (were free to me for my R1) and are easy to replace.

Now the Raven 1 is a different. I am working on a design using a R1, and I don't think I would suggest using it below 3500. It starts to sound a bit thin when you ask it to do too much. Again high order crossover is in order.

DaveM:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.