How does the DIY aleph X compare the the real thing? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2005, 03:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a quick recap of the history of the Aleph-X is in order:
I hit upon the basic idea ages ago. Somewhere in Petter's X thread I posted the concept, but the reaction was distinctly cool. The Mini-A was both a stand-alone project and a stepping stone to the Aleph-X (as noted in the Mini-A thread, though no one seems to have picked up on it). I muddled along at my usual glacial pace and pulled a conceptual schematic together in late December of that year. I sent it to Nelson. Instead of the usual day or two or three, I received a reply from Nelson within an hour or so saying that it was pretty close to an as-yet unannounced product that he expected to debut at the winter CES. He asked me to keep quiet about the circuit. I did. He, scoundrel that he is, logged on while still at the CES and told folks here at DIY that I had such a thing under development. At that point, I kicked the R&D effort into high gear (meaning that I put maybe eight hours a week into it instead of the usual four or five) and had a functioning prototype within a couple of months. I'd actually prefer to move a little faster than that, but I'm limited by my real job, etc. That's the way it goes.
Yes, Virginia, there really is an Aleph-X, only it's called the XA. I deliberately called my circuit something different in order to differentiate it from Nelson's commercial product. I didn't want anyone to get confused. Well, blast and bother, Nelson went and released the Rushmore, a self-powered speaker, wherein he used an "Aleph-X" to run the bass.
Sigh.
At any given time, I have a fairly extensive slate of things that I'm fiddling with. Sometimes I post the results. Sometimes I don't. Right now I've got three 'hot' projects, with perhaps a dozen on the back burner. That's not counting the little scraps of paper here and there with oddball circuit ideas scrawled on them. I have no earthly idea how many of those there are. Lots. Hordes. Multitudes. They threaten to overwhelm me. I once got mad and threw a stack in the trash can. Needed the desk space. I don't know what all was in that stack; I know there were two or three ideas on servo subs, but there were othrer things as well.
You ought to see my house. It's a flippin' wonder my wife hasn't left me.

Grey
Old 4th October 2005, 10:40 AM   #12
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead

What happened to that one you lent me? Did it get parted out?

George

Yes, But it is not very far away.
Old 10th October 2005, 05:01 PM   #13
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Mabey someone who has built one can take it to their local hifi store and compare it to their pass aleph X. I really think that someone should do a comparison between the two.
Old 11th October 2005, 03:51 PM   #14
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Dude,
I can see the faces down at Singer's hifi when someone asks them to plug their unsightly hunk of aluminum into their 15k speaker. You'd have to find some real unconventional dealer.

I'd ship my amp to Nelson but shipping 100 lb to nevada from NJ would cost mucho too much dinero.
Old 11th October 2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have heard a Pass Labs XA100 and can compare to my humble 40W Aleph-X.

The tonal balance is very similar, the real thing has more drive in the bass. But it sounded a bit more "laidback" on the highs than my small unit. The microdynamics of the XA were less pronounced. So overall I would say they only differ on small things. I could directly recognize the 'typical' Aleph-X sound of my own setup.

Source: Linn Unidisk
Pre: Pass Labs X1
Speakers: 803 Diamond

own setup:
Source: DIY TNT TDA1543 DAC
Pre: DIY Pass BOSOZ
Speakers: DIY 3-way (Audiotechnology, Morel, Eton)
Old 11th October 2005, 08:00 PM   #16
dqswim is offline dqswim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't ask me - I haven't heard any of the DIY units.
Nelson I'll gladly send you a pair of aleph-x boards .. if you don't have much to do over the winter you could build them up. I imagine that you have all the parts around the shop.

Then you could have the DIY version of your own amplifier design, thats wild. Let me know.

-dave
Old 11th October 2005, 08:15 PM   #17
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dqswim

Nelson I'll gladly send you a pair of aleph-x boards .. if you don't have much to do over the winter you could build them up. I imagine that you have all the parts around the shop.

Then you could have the DIY version of your own amplifier design, thats wild. Let me know.

-dave

Your Kidding, right ?
Old 11th October 2005, 09:05 PM   #18
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by dqswim
Then you could have the DIY version of your own amplifier design
Actually someone gave me a set some time ago, but truly I
don't have the time to play.

Old 11th October 2005, 11:12 PM   #19
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm intrested in some boards if you don't want them
Old 14th October 2005, 03:56 AM   #20
jrsun is offline jrsun  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

Actually someone gave me a set some time ago, but truly I
don't have the time to play.

Hi Nelson, just wonder when J-XA is coming out ?

Best regads

Hide this!Advertise here!