My AB amp inspired by AlephX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2005, 09:08 AM   #1
DarkOne is offline DarkOne  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Default My AB amp inspired by AlephX

Hello,
I allways loved class A amps, but it's allways problem to get all heatsinks needed (mostly because their high price), so I designed my amp like alephx which can work in class AB. Both output halves are biased to 1A, which can drive my 8 ohm speakers 20Wrms in class A, but circuit is able to run more power in class AB. I know I made some sins like complementary differential input stage etc. But the question is - what do you think about it and what would you make other way?

The amp is running for 4 months and I'm very satisfied with results (sorry no measurements). I'm going to integrate 4 chanels to one chassis and use active crossover for my speakers.

Attached schematic is very simplified so here are some details : for thermal stability I change current biasing diff pairs (this sulution took me some time to develop, but works and it's simple). Source resistors on output pairs (IRFP240 & IRFP9240) are 0R47 and currently I have 16 output transistors per chanel. In my future project (4 chanels) I'd like to run only 4 devices (minimum for this circuit) per chanel.

So, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: png amp.png (40.1 KB, 3688 views)
Old 20th September 2005, 07:48 PM   #2
The one and only

Looks great. Congratulations.

Old 21st September 2005, 01:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mr. Pass
Old 22nd September 2005, 08:53 AM   #4
B.L. is offline B.L.  Poland
diyAudio Member

Actual schematic please.

No problems with DC offset?
Old 22nd September 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

No problems with DC, as can be seen on actual schematic, there are 4 resistors from both outputs to each CCS (like in AlephX). Currently I have 30mV between outputs and 150mV to ground.
Attached Images
File Type: gif schema.gif (39.0 KB, 3228 views)
Old 26th September 2005, 09:23 PM   #6
LBHajdu is offline LBHajdu  United States
diyAudio Member

Itís a very nice amp and truly simple ! Could you comment on the sound (maybe a comparison to something else)? What rail voltage are you running them at? If others want to try building it you should post the component values.
Old 26th September 2005, 09:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's hard for me to compare, because I haven't had opportunity to compare to other amps on the same gear. Currently I have Canton LE103 speakers, which I heard playing on Krell amp, but there was different source, than I have, so hard to tell. Within few months I'll compare amp on Dynaudio BM6 with Meridian (there will be a pair of golden ears with me, so we'll see).
According to my ears the amp has very smooth sound, L/R localization is perfect, F/R localisation can't check, speakers are not so good and currently I don't have good source. Bass is strong and well controled.

Rail voltages are +-25V with 180mF capacitance

Send me an email for component values (I have them only in Eagle pcb format)

toudy@chello.sk
Old 26th September 2005, 11:09 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkOne
It's hard for me to compare, because I haven't had opportunity to compare to other amps on the same gear. Currently I have Canton LE103 speakers, which I heard playing on Krell amp, but there was different source, than I have, so hard to tell. Within few months I'll compare amp on Dynaudio BM6 with Meridian (there will be a pair of golden ears with me, so we'll see).
According to my ears the amp has very smooth sound, L/R localization is perfect, F/R localisation can't check, speakers are not so good and currently I don't have good source. Bass is strong and well controled.

Rail voltages are +-25V with 180mF capacitance

Send me an email for component values (I have them only in Eagle pcb format)

toudy@chello.sk
if you send me that files I can put it on my web for (temp) download if someone else is interested...
Old 27th September 2005, 02:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thatís very interesting, Iíve never heard of a class A\B push pull amp describe as ďvery smoothĒ. I wonder if itís distortion from the output stage. Is there a high end roll off?

How is the noise floor, is there any hum? This is the Achilles heal of common source operation as you know. However the symmetry must help out some what.

I also wonder if that is why Mr. Pass didnít use this topology in his amps.
Old 27th September 2005, 04:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is another option, taken from half of a Pass A75 and Xed. But it may have too many stages to make the x concept work. The P.S. rejection will be better.

Iím really ashamed of this drawing. I think I put about ten min. it to it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip idea.zip (7.2 KB, 388 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!