My AB amp inspired by AlephX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I allways loved class A amps, but it's allways problem to get all heatsinks needed (mostly because their high price), so I designed my amp like alephx which can work in class AB. Both output halves are biased to 1A, which can drive my 8 ohm speakers 20Wrms in class A, but circuit is able to run more power in class AB. I know I made some sins like complementary differential input stage etc. But the question is - what do you think about it and what would you make other way?

The amp is running for 4 months and I'm very satisfied with results (sorry no measurements). I'm going to integrate 4 chanels to one chassis and use active crossover for my speakers.

Attached schematic is very simplified so here are some details : for thermal stability I change current biasing diff pairs (this sulution took me some time to develop, but works and it's simple). Source resistors on output pairs (IRFP240 & IRFP9240) are 0R47 and currently I have 16 output transistors per chanel. In my future project (4 chanels) I'd like to run only 4 devices (minimum for this circuit) per chanel.

So, what do you think?

Attachments

• amp.png
    amp.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,923
It's hard for me to compare, because I haven't had opportunity to compare to other amps on the same gear. Currently I have Canton LE103 speakers, which I heard playing on Krell amp, but there was different source, than I have, so hard to tell. Within few months I'll compare amp on Dynaudio BM6 with Meridian (there will be a pair of golden ears with me, so we'll see).
According to my ears the amp has very smooth sound, L/R localization is perfect, F/R localisation can't check, speakers are not so good and currently I don't have good source. Bass is strong and well controled.

Rail voltages are +-25V with 180mF capacitance

Send me an email for component values (I have them only in Eagle pcb format)

toudy@chello.sk

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
DarkOne said:
It's hard for me to compare, because I haven't had opportunity to compare to other amps on the same gear. Currently I have Canton LE103 speakers, which I heard playing on Krell amp, but there was different source, than I have, so hard to tell. Within few months I'll compare amp on Dynaudio BM6 with Meridian (there will be a pair of golden ears with me, so we'll see).
According to my ears the amp has very smooth sound, L/R localization is perfect, F/R localisation can't check, speakers are not so good and currently I don't have good source. Bass is strong and well controled.

Rail voltages are +-25V with 180mF capacitance

Send me an email for component values (I have them only in Eagle pcb format)

toudy@chello.sk

if you send me that files I can put it on my web for (temp) download if someone else is interested...

That’s very interesting, I’ve never heard of a class A\B push pull amp describe as “very smooth”. I wonder if it’s distortion from the output stage. Is there a high end roll off?

How is the noise floor, is there any hum? This is the Achilles heal of common source operation as you know. However the symmetry must help out some what.

I also wonder if that is why Mr. Pass didn’t use this topology in his amps.

Here is another option, taken from half of a Pass A75 and Xed. But it may have too many stages to make the x concept work. The P.S. rejection will be better.

I’m really ashamed of this drawing. I think I put about ten min. it to it.

Attachments

• idea.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 466
LBHajdu said:
Here is another option, taken from half of a Pass A75 and Xed. But it may have too many stages to make the x concept work. The P.S. rejection will be better.

I’m really ashamed of this drawing. I think I put about ten min. it to it.

Nice amp (I got similar idea). One thing I wanted to avoid in my desigh was use of separate supply for driving circuit and output stage.

I would use 4 resistors to ground around Vgs multiplier to decrease open loop gain and increase linearity. Also I would adjust current from both current sources instead of changing values of drain resistors of diff pair.

Would it be possible to make the diff pairs out of j-fets. And if so would there be any benefits to doing that? The input impedance would be really high.

Do any of the mosfets making up the diff pairs/ccs have to be mounted for thermal coupling with any other part? This is probably better answered when we have part numbers.

I thought this amp would get a much bigger response, it is the only AB x-amp that that will take a single-ended input. Plus the symmetry is very pleasing to the eye.

Leve

I thought this amp would get a much bigger response, it is the only AB x-amp that that will take a single-ended input. Plus the symmetry is very pleasing to the eye.

I was thinking the same thing. ESPECIALLY since it got the :up: from N.P. --"looks great, congratulations" and that's it! cool!--

I think it will take off when more info comes along...

quote:
Originally posted by thanh
congratulation !
I'm sorry ! Can anyone help me?
A Aleph chanel uses one dual-volume . how can I adjust volume for 2 chanel ? thank you !

You need quad volume pot or digitaly controlled resistor network with relays. You can also mechanicaly connect two dual pots.
Which volume are you using ? and Pass-lab ?
Thanks you !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.