A real big review Xono, X2.5, XA100 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Account Disabled

Did I say that Pass XA100 was the no.1 choice (18 points) at the similar price range by Japanese Stereo Sound critics? Followers are Linn Klimax Chakra Twin (15 points), Goldmund Mimesis 18.4M (12 points), Mckintosh MC501 (8 points), . . .
Read Stereo Sound No.153 2005.

Regards
jH
Old 11th September 2005, 12:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
DS type which is "Spitzenklasse", one of the best relays I know
Name a better one.
Here is 1 of 12 in my pre-amp.
Beat you by 6 months :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...452#post604452
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...976#post604976

Thank you for posting the article on your forum, P-A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ds2.jpg (18.0 KB, 909 views)
Old 11th September 2005, 02:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thank you P-A and Buhl!

Dennis
Old 11th September 2005, 08:44 PM   #14
Buhl is offline Buhl  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default The end......

Here are the last part of the AX100 test and the conclusion.
I understand that PA is working on the translation of the quite extensive measurements.
A good example of dynamics and space is High Fidelity Reference CD No. 78 (the magazines own CDs that comes with every issue) track 5 and 7 with “Tango Orkesteret” and “Freedom”. Both tracks offers lots of details and dynamics – micro dynamics as well as when the whole soundstage is crashing in to your living room. Here the XA100 has a good grip on everything. XA 100 focuses on the instruments and their messages, and also more on the space around the music, instead of the tiny details. Dynamically there is also a little bit less “jump-effect” than we experience from our Accuphase A60, which has its focus on the dynamics and liveliness in the music.

On the other hand the XA100 has the ability of placing a guitar more realistic in the soundstage, with lots of space and air to the imaginary rear wall and the other instruments. The AX100 excels in two areas – the liveliness and the organic in all instruments and the reproducing of space. Especially on the organ recording, track 7, where the large room opens and expands a bit into the track. The speakers simply vanish in the soundstage - that is if they have the necessary quality. Here you can say that XA100 is demanding, because they definitely deserve a good pair of speakers.

Now that we are at it, lets take the bass. With the available speakers there certainly weren’t any problems, but again it’s an organic and very musical reproduction rather than a reproduction that seeks to impress you. Electronic music as for example Yello is handled nicely, but its not here that the quality is revealed. Instead take a large orchestra where everything suddenly explodes. It’s this ability to expand and at the same time preserve the overview in the music that the XA100 masters. Speaking of classic music, this has to be the amp of dreams for opera fans. Listening to Cecilia Bartoli brought tears to our eyes. With music of this character you easily forget to listen to what the amp does and does not. Here you simply enjoy the music, which, in the end, has to be the meaning with it all.

Conclusion
No doubt about that it’s the XA 100 that makes the icing on the cake in this trio. These impressive mono stages don’t belong in the analytical and 100% neutral part of the high-end world, but on the other hand you get a present and three-dimensional reproduction that’s unheard of. You have the perfect combination together with the Pass Labs own X2.5 preamp. We can only imagine how it will sound with the even better alternatives in the Pass Labs selection of preamps.
Xono offers the best conditions to even the most expensive pickup and turntable. We have a hard time thinking of what more to wish for – in any case it would only concern use and facilities. We have absolutely no complains about the sound.
All in all, these products from Pass Labs have been a great experience, visually as sonically, exactly as it should be with real high-end gear.

Cheers !
Hans
Old 12th September 2005, 03:37 AM   #15
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nais

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

I see also that the relays seem to be NAIS (former SDS) DS type which is "Spitzenklasse", one of the best relays I know especially when it comes to switching low currents.
I agree. I have used NAIS D2 and D4 "latching" relays in my BOSOZ. They are very very nice; I think I sought them out after seeing them in Pass Labs and in Mark Levinson equipment.

NAIS D2 For input LED indicator.

NAIS D4 For Input Selection.

(for projects click www link in signature line).

I like the "latching" type because once SET (switched) they stay in that position until you deliberately switch them (RESET) again. So they have a memory effect with is great for selecting inputs. And it does not hurt to RESET or SET them if they are already RESET or SET...but sorry, I don't want to go off topic.

Quote:
Name a better one.
Here is 1 of 12 in my pre-amp.
Beat you by 6 months
Jacco- I didn't beat you did I?

- my preamp in 2004- not your mommy's BOSOZ

ooops, I forgot, the links are no good, I've since moved them to parttimeprojects.com
Old 12th September 2005, 05:18 AM   #16
Dave is offline Dave  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Those attenuator boards in the 2.5 look interesting.
Old 12th September 2005, 07:00 AM   #17
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

The whole review is now translated into english, just measurements left. Thanks Hans for the two last pages.
Old 13th September 2005, 07:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Great review! I have read the whle review on the scanned files (in Swedish).

I wouldn't hesitate i buying an Xono after having looked inside this phono preamp!

One thing that puzzles me is the use of an electrolytic cap in the signal path in the XA100!
Two 100uF/35V are in series with the signal at the input.

Nelson - I hope you do not mind me asking: why do you use a electrolytic cap in the signal path?

Sigurd
Old 13th September 2005, 08:59 AM   #19
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Sigurd, you could also buy a Pearl pcb from Pass Labs which is more or less is Xono, right Nelson?
Old 13th September 2005, 11:40 AM   #20
Buhl is offline Buhl  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Sigurd, the issue of the aleph electrolytic coupling capacitors have been discussed before, try a quick search of the forum. I recall that Nelson is not afraid of using a cap in the signal path, as he thinks that gain devices makes up for way more distortion and degradation of the sound – but try a search.

I’m afraid that you can no longer buy Pearl PCBs from pass labs, but Promitheus has a thread in this forum selling PCB and parts. I have built two of his “kits” and can recommend them without hesitation – excellent parts, and excellent service from Promitheus.

Per Anders – I don’t think that the pearl is the same RIAA as the Xono – but I might be wrong given my poor skills in electronics. The Pearl is a single ended circuit, and the Xono looks to be two single ended circuits in a balanced “X” configuration – maybe others can enlighten this ???

But anyway, the Pearl is a very, very good sounding RIAA, if you can live with the MM input. My friend, whom I build a pearl for compares it with the, otherwise good sounding RIAA in his McIntosch amp as “is sounds as if its broken” when comparing the McIntosch to the Pearl. I especially like its reproduction of space, compared to the other RIAAs I have heard – it is truly a “Pearl”…...

Cheers
Hans Buhl Houmøller

Hide this!Advertise here!