inductor/choke/air core/ferrite core. . . same thing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you investigated tweeker's links, the Coilcraft unit I suggested is for preciisly that same pupose. Although, most of that bis was detailing the fine points of a "Single Ended" input filter. There are also the common mode/differential inductors like I suggest, might be inexpensive and or useful(wiring the 4 pins for maximum inductance and using it as a choke). Not that anything there was wrong or inappropriate but, I work with SMPS every day (not National) and I would not be here if I wanted to read that stuff some more...
I will say, if anyone remembers the electric drill test??? That actually seems like a very good test to me. That guy probably wants some good EMI protection if he's going to be drilling to the tunes!

And what did the Master do?

This is what Mr Nelson uses himself in the XA 160 amps.

A ferrite core. And it looks three times as small as the air core I use myself.

(Sadly this is not my own amp. Still saving) :bawling:

Attachments

• pass inductor.jpg
    pass inductor.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 808
An inductor with more DCR has a lower q, the resistance damps the ringing. If your inductors and capacitors start really resonating youve got trouble, as mentioned by PRR.

Heres a fairly relavent link on the Damping of Power-Converter Front-End Averaging Filters

This was helpful. Earlier I mentioned shunting to ground but your link provides the right formulas. Moreover, I had not known about the CR leg that comes ahead of the C shunt. I will study this more over the weekend. Thanks.

After dealing with this power supply stuff, my guess is that those guys at NASA probably do know more than me.

I recently bought a few 250va toriodal autoformers to play with.
Just for fun I hooked one up as a choke in a choke input filter.
I know it wasn't suposed to work but under a 1A load it preformed just like a "real" choke. Then I removed all the windings a real pain in the *** . The 3" core I uncovered was
wound from a continious strip of steel. Then I wound 58 turns
of #16 copper wire around it and measured ~10 mh.

Using a 18v center tap transformer, a pair of Shokey diodes, this
10mh inductor and a .25F cap I measured 7v into a 1ohm load.
When allowing for the voltage drop in the diode and sourse resistance in the inductor this matches the 9v X .88 = 7.72v
expected. The #16 wire did get slightly warm at this 7A load
them hot when loaded to 12A. but not bad for a salvaged
transformer core and ~ 8 feet of #16 copper wire. This may not
work with othe transformer cores.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.