Bride of son of zen -----> WHERE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2002, 03:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: north of Italy
Default Bride of son of zen -----> WHERE?

well I'm doing a Ciuffoli Power Follower 99 and when it will be ended, I will have to begin to build a preamps.
I premise that I don't have any balanced imput or output in my components, on the contrary i have only rca connectors.

My idea was to build the "bride of zen".
Subsequently I have read in this forum that the "Bride of son of zen" exists also and is better.
where I can find online the article that draws the "Bride of son of zen"?
Has the "Bride of son of zen" its imput and output unbalanced?

Another question, if I wanted to build the "Balanced Line Stage" with unbalanced imput and output, could I use the underlying configuration?

XLR -------> RCA
Pin 1 -----> RCA Ground
Pin 2 -----> Hot or RCA center pin
Pin 3 -----> Lift
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 03:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Roberto Amato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Rome - Italy
Default Re: Bride of son of zen -----> WHERE?

Quote:
Originally posted by m60gpmg
well I'm doing a Ciuffoli Power Follower 99 and when it will be ended, I will have to begin to build a preamps.
I premise that I don't have any balanced imput or output in my components, on the contrary i have only rca connectors.

My idea was to build the "bride of zen".
Subsequently I have read in this forum that the "Bride of son of zen" exists also and is better.
where I can find online the article that draws the "Bride of son of zen"?

You may find it here:
http://www.passdiy.com/legacy.htm
Quote:

Has the "Bride of son of zen" its imput and output unbalanced?

Another question, if I wanted to build the "Balanced Line Stage" with unbalanced imput and output, could I use the underlying configuration?

XLR -------> RCA
Pin 1 -----> RCA Ground
Pin 2 -----> Hot or RCA center pin
Pin 3 -----> Lift
The BOSOZ borns balanced. You can use it unbalanced (with more distortion and less gain) putting the unusued input (usually XLR pin 3) to ground (and of course not using the corrisponding out). The "Lift" you mention on your scheme means "no connection"? If that's what you mean, no then, short it to ground.

ciao,
Roberto
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 04:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: north of Italy
Quote:
You may find it here:
http://www.passdiy.com/legacy.htm
In this page there are the "bride of zen" and the "Balanced Line Stage" but there isn't the "Bride of son of zen"


Quote:
The BOSOZ borns balanced. You can use it unbalanced (with more distortion and less gain) putting the unusued input (usually XLR pin 3) to ground (and of course not using the corrisponding out). The "Lift" you mention on your scheme means "no connection"? If that's what you mean, no then, short it to ground.
Well, you think it's better if i build th"bride of zen", that it is natively unbalanced.

ciao
m60gpmg

P.S. sorry for my English that results to be very oxidized.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 04:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: north of Italy
Quote:
Well, you think it's better if i build th"bride of zen", that it is natively unbalanced.
I have been wrong, I wanted to say:
Well, do you think that I am best if I build the" bride of zen", that is born/native not balanced?

Ciao
m60gpmg

P.S.
I have forgotten to thank you for the help given me
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 05:15 PM   #5
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Europe, Slovenia
bride of son of zen = balanced zen linestage..
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Roberto Amato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by m60gpmg


I have been wrong, I wanted to say:
Well, do you think that I am best if I build the" bride of zen", that is born/native not balanced?

Ciao
m60gpmg

P.S.
I have forgotten to thank you for the help given me
Frankly, I wouldn't exactly know what to advice. I haven't heard the Bride of Zen, but if you are planning to build other (balanced) Nelson projects in the future, BOSOZ is the way to go. The Bride of Zen will never go balanced, while the BOSOZ goes unbalanced too. Surely is more flexible. For myself I would decide (as I did) primarly on this ground (no pun intended)

ciao anche a te,
Roberto
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 09:08 PM   #7
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
BOSOZ is the better sounding circuit IMHO.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bride of Zen, Bride of Son of Zen 2Bak Pass Labs 12 18th September 2013 05:54 PM
New PCB for bride of zen maartentje Pass Labs 6 28th February 2005 07:19 AM
Bride of zen PCB maartentje Pass Labs 8 14th February 2005 01:26 AM
bjt bride of zen renjiish Pass Labs 1 24th September 2004 03:54 PM
Bride of Son of Zen vs. A;eph P Peter Daniel Pass Labs 0 25th January 2002 07:45 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:44 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2