Amperes of Pass amps & Pass for ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plannng a system that will have dipole bass, ESL mids (89 db panels from E R Audio in Perth Australia) and G ribbon tweeters. Active bass, maybe passive mid & tweets.

ESLs seem to be hard to drive mostly in the bass and at 20 kHz.

I’m considering a number of amps for the job, including
- a 30 watt Aleph kit,
- second hand 25 w Pass A-40 that’s just on the market locally

The (in this forum) heretical:
- Rod Elliott’s MOSFET P101 or maybe P3A,
- a second hand ME (range 60-150 watts),
- a 25w Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro (zero feedback in output stage),
- something else?

I’m soon to find out from E R Audio how many amperes he recommends.

* Who has heard a Pass amp driving ESLs ~ what did you think?

* What are the amperes current the various designs put out?

Thanks

I don't think the Aleph 30 is well suited to drive electrostatics nor are any of the amps you mentioned. Being totally honest, a pair of Aleph 2's @ 100 watss per channel would do a nice job but a pair of Aleph 2's will cost about a $1000 to build when you figure a pair of 750 VA toroidal transformers, heastsink material, 24 matched output devices, 2 matched diff pairs, circuit boards and their parts, chassis etc. I have a pair of Martin logan electroststics at 88 db/watt and find the the aleph 2 is just right because the impedance dips a bit in places.

PS: There is no such thing as an Aleph Kit. With an Aleph you download a schematic, either design your own boards or maybe buy some from members of the forum in a group buy, find the rest of the parts and you are on your way.

kilowattski

(Aleph Kit - I should have said group parts & group PCB buys)

I’ve heard from an ESL supplier that a 60 watt class A does a good job, though he also thinks a NAD adequate (me sceptical).

Your Martin Logan has passive crossovers I assume? Even for *just the mids - 100 watts?

What is anything good and reasonably affordable??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.