The Aleph J - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default The Aleph J

"The exciting new Aleph J is here from Nelson Pass! It is the long awaited replacement for the popular Aleph 30. Nelson literally assembles each of these amplifiers himself under the First Watt name. Like the Aleph 30, the Aleph J is 30 wpc into 8 ohms of pure single ended Class A power, has only two gain stages and offers both RCA single ended and XLR balanced inputs. Improvements include a JFET input (hence the name Aleph J) instead of a MOSFET input. The JFET input lowers noise about 12db and decreases the amount of feedback necessary by 10db. The JFET still drives an all MOSFET output stage. The reduction in noise and feedback gives the Aleph J a noticeably more relaxed and refined sound than the Aleph 30. It emulates the sound of a good tube amplifier more closely and allows one to hear low level detail better. The lower noise is especially a benefit when used on high sensitivity speakers. Like the Aleph 30, it is designed to safely run very hot due to it's true Class A biasing. It puts off about as much heat as two 100 hundred watt light bulbs. It's chassis is similar in size to an Aleph 30 but with a silver faceplate instead of black, and a back panel mounted power switch as the amp is designed to be left on for best sound. For a limited time as a introductory offer, you can trade you AGS 9/10 condition Aleph 30 in on a new Aleph J (retail of $2500) for a difference of only $1199 plus $50 UPS ground shipping. Since most people bought their Aleph 30's from us to begin with for $1399, you will be getting over 90% of what you paid for the Aleph 30 back on trade. Allow 2-3 weeks to receive your new Aleph J. It will ship directly to you from Pass Labs in California. Contact Audio Video Logic for more information or to order at 515-727-2279."

Quote from Audiogon...I think I might just plunk on a used A30 and trade it in for the J.
Old 2nd August 2005, 12:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

My question is: What happens to all the trade-in amps?

Grey
Old 2nd August 2005, 02:36 AM   #3
The one and only

AVL does a lively business in new, used, refurb, 2nd, and
closeout units. They are a very good dealer.
Old 4th August 2005, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to safetyman Send a message via MSN to safetyman Send a message via Yahoo to safetyman
Mr. Pass,

I couldn't find any info on the launching of the Aleph J in neither the First Watt or AVL's website. How would the trade in work for non US owners of the Aleph 3? Can the Aleph 3 be upgraded to an Aleph J without going back to the US?
Old 5th August 2005, 04:23 PM   #5
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
Default The Aleph 3 is not a dog...

The Aleph 3 is still the best sounding.

Notice i said the 3.

Not the 30, not the J.

I'm talking about the Aleph 3, the amp that made Stereophile
change the way they viewed their class A rating.

The little sea urchin that could.

And you need the one that didn't have half the rear heatsink cut
away - so that complainers could hookup their fat speaker wires.

The original Aleph 3 with no compromises.

less is more... these new interations are only complicating the proof.

/moe29 - proud owner of an Aleph 3.
Old 6th August 2005, 02:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to safetyman Send a message via MSN to safetyman Send a message via Yahoo to safetyman
moe, you reckon so? I have never had the opportunity to listen to an Aleph 30 but I had always believed that the Aleph 3 was the best, better than the rest.

Honestly, I would be very reluctant to part with my Aleph 3, but quoting Nelson Pass, he believes that the Aleph J is the best Aleph yet.
Old 8th August 2005, 11:07 PM   #7
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by safetyman
Honestly, I would be very reluctant to part with my Aleph 3, but quoting Nelson Pass, he believes that the Aleph J is the best Aleph yet.
Well, of course I like the Aleph 3 chassis best.

Old 9th August 2005, 12:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Now, that's an interesting point. Nelson says he likes the Aleph 3 chassis best. (Presumably of the Alephs, but then again, with all the Thresholds, Fortes, Pass Alephs and Xs, not to mention other 'outside' contenders, there are a lot of possibilities.)
Fair enough.
So I sit back and try to decide what amp I like best, chassis-wise. I can come up with a relatively short list of candidates, but "best" is another matter entirely. I'm not sure which I would choose.
Something to ponder.

Grey
Old 9th August 2005, 03:02 AM   #9
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Mr. Pass, please repackage the J to look like the 3....
Old 9th August 2005, 08:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

In your respected opinion, Mr. Pass, is the chassis of the Aleph 3 the only thing that you feel is better than the Aleph J?

Is there any chance of sharing what you feel about the sound of the Aleph J? I do not think that I would ever have a chance here to listen to one, at least not in the near future.

Is it true that the Aleph 3 and the Aleph 30 are the same amp except for it's chassis?

Hide this!Advertise here!