Matching Mosfets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2005, 11:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to porfi4ever
Default Matching Mosfets

Hello everyone, sorry to bother you with this question the more I read about this more confused I got. I want to macht IRFP244 and 9610 for my aleph2 that I'm going to start building, but I don't know how to get the value of my resistor, I'm using 2.2k resistor with regulated power supply for 5 sec. for both transistors.Is this setup ok? please help me with this. thanks Rommel
Old 28th July 2005, 11:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

2.2K is about right for the 9610 @ 15V, but I would use something around 20 ohms for the 244's so you'll be matching at around .5A where they'll be used. You'll need to time the measure closely (5 sec within +- .5 sec) because 1.5W will heat them quickly and skew your measures). And don't try to read it again for at least 20 min so it can return to ambient temp.

I set up everything (supply, resistor and DVM). Clip an aligator clip to the drain and gate, then the other to the source, count to 3(one one thousand two one thousand three one thousand) then read the measure.
Old 28th July 2005, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mattyo5
If you use a 20 ohm resistor for the 244's, make sure that its at least 10 watts.... the resistor will heat up. I match for 30 seconds per mosfet....the meter isn't moving as much after 30 seconds...i don't know how easy it would be to get mosfets accurate at only 5 seconds. On the other hand.... they don't have to be super accurate matched..... close is just fine.

Make sure the mosfets are on a flat surface... i use a glass table....so that they all start at a similar temp, and just like Brian said, if you mess up a reading...wait 20-30 min before you rematch.

Lots of different opinions on matching.... who knows who's right. If Nelson says something....stick with that good luck man!

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 29th July 2005, 01:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default matching mosfets

Thank you both to reply, I'm going to get a 20 ohms resistor to match the 244's for 5 seconds and I was matching the 9610 with 2.2 k 1 w and was getting numbers like 14.99, 15.00, 14.98,15.14. Are this numbers fine?
Old 29th July 2005, 02:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You need to be measureing the voltage accross drain-gate and source and it should be 3.5 to 4 volts.

If you match the 244 after 30 sec under juice, you've heated them up a bit, and you're assuming that they reached the same final temp, but if the vgs is different, then they're under different amounts of heat, and not always the same temp.

But on the otherhand, they are closer to operating temp. One idea I had for matching was to keep them in boiling water untill testing them so they would be closer to the temp where they'll run, but testing burning hot fets would be a PITA.
Old 29th July 2005, 03:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mattyo5
I guess it'd be interesting to do some experiments... do the 5 sec test....then do a 30 sec test... and see if the fets actually match up... doesn't matter....good luck porfi! whatever you do should be close enough for alephs. Later!

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 29th July 2005, 10:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

the bigger your source resistor, the less important the matching.
Old 29th July 2005, 10:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Did you see Nelson's article on Mosfet matching?

http://www.passdiy.com/howto/matching.htm

-David
Old 29th July 2005, 11:06 PM   #9
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

2,2k is way too much resistance! You need like 10r for the irfp240 and something like 560r for the irf610 (or9610)!! I remember NP said that they just measured long enough to get a reading! I normally "Juice" them for 30 sec's. The resistor needs to be at least 10 watts. And a steady supply at that!

Steen

BTW 15v for the irfp240 and 10v for the irf9610!!!
Take a closer look at the link DW gave!!
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
Did you see Nelson's article on Mosfet matching?

http://www.passdiy.com/howto/matching.htm

-David
yes,1 million times, but still confused.

Hide this!Advertise here!