Aleph 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2005, 11:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Aleph 5

Dear all,
I have one question. Is it possible to mount 8 of heatsinks on aluminium plate with dimensions 200mmx350mm. Heatsinks have dimensions 100mm x 85mm (fisher).
So, will be enough (if is it possible) for one chanel Aleph 5.
Thank's
Old 26th July 2005, 06:43 PM   #2
The one and only

Probably OK. If not, find a quiet fan.
Old 27th July 2005, 07:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 5

Thank's mr. Nelson for your help.
Regards,
Old 28th July 2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Toni hi!

DO you have original marks for those Fisher heatsinks? So we could see K/W factor ...

Btw - one thing that is VERY important in your way of heatsinking - be sure that the base Al plate isn't bent a bit - and also check that heatsinks are really flat ... Otherwise you will get a very bad "contact" between surfaces - and so the plate will get much much hotter rhan heatsinks themselfes ...
Old 29th July 2005, 06:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 5

Dear Primoz,
I think that heat sinks have 1.9/W. It is very difficult to find them as a part number on Fisherelectronik.de. Any way I知 planning to use alu plate at least of 7mm thickens. Between surfaces I知 planning to use thermal paste so I think that will be a good thermal contact. As I said before, heat sinks have dimensions 85mm x 100mm with 40mm fins.
One more question about power supply. I知 planning to use, per monoblock, 2 x 33000mF-RIFA, 2 x 10000mf-KENDEIL and 2 x 3300mF-NIPON nichicon with dual rectifier and 2 x 28V 400VA transformer. Do you think that this would be enough???
Thank you for you reply,
Regards,
Toni
Old 29th July 2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Aleph 5

Quote:
Originally posted by tonistefanovski
Dear Primoz,
I think that heat sinks have 1.9/W. It is very difficult to find them as a part number on Fisherelectronik.de. Any way I知 planning to use alu plate at least of 7mm thickens. Between surfaces I知 planning to use thermal paste so I think that will be a good thermal contact. As I said before, heat sinks have dimensions 85mm x 100mm with 40mm fins.
One more question about power supply. I知 planning to use, per monoblock, 2 x 33000mF-RIFA, 2 x 10000mf-KENDEIL and 2 x 3300mF-NIPON nichicon with dual rectifier and 2 x 28V 400VA transformer. Do you think that this would be enough???
Thank you for you reply,
Regards,
Toni
Hi Toni,

so - if you mount them e.g. 4 per side - you will get K/W around 0,5K/W//side - that would be enough for around 80W dissipation (or 160W on all 8 heatsinks) - and that's quite allright for A5.
Than again - by mounting them in height - you will not get so good K/W factor - because by increasing height the K/W curve flatens very quickly ...

It's not the thickness af Al plate that is problematic - and also not the thermal grease - which is, btw - a little bit tricky to use than noticable at first moment - the problem is - that you will rarely get really flat Al plate and really flat heatsink surface - ussualy both are bent a bit - so on the contact you get a big air gap - OK - it will be filled by grease - BUT - the trick with the grease is - there shouldn't be too many of it - and in the case of such gaps - it surely be too thick - and heat transfer will be far from good!!!

You have 2 solutions:
- to find someone with router that will flatten you heatsinks and/or Al plate
- to mount transistors on heatsinks dirrectly - and only use Al profiles (or smaller plates) to connect heatsinks together

About your PSU - I think it will be more than enough! Maybe just add some MKP or similar bypass capacitors!
Old 30th July 2005, 10:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

a third sollution would be to use enough screws to connect the heatsinks to the baseplate and so avoid airgaps.

William
Old 1st August 2005, 08:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank's William, I'll do that

Regards,
Toni

Hide this!Advertise here!