F2 Initial Listening Impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do Corals compare to Lowthers and which Lowthers are you using?

I know Lowther sound very well, but never heard Corals.

Bartek

Hi Bartek,

I didn't hook up the Coral with the F2 clone yet. I would say that the tonal character of Coral and my Lowther is quite similar. Except that Lowther has a more refined sound.

Forgot to tell mine is PM2C.

You and Steen have some really jaw dropping F2 clones, congrats!!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Wow! more members coming to F-club. :D
I also prefer my F over many tube amps.

Happy X-mas !!!

Thank you and Merry Christmas.
:D

if there was a group buy there would be additional savings.
Thanks a lot Mr. Ver Halen:) Most kind of you.
Is any other F-club members ready to jump in on this? Or anybody else, for that matter;) The Lowthers arent excactly cheap, but once you invest in a pair, you will have something to play around with for a long time;) Consider all the different and exciting boxes you can build and listen to:)

Steen:cool:

I too would like to add my thanks to Mr. Ver Halen for his generous offer. The DX55 is definitely a speaker that's been on my wish list for a long time.

Group buys tend to be long and complex affairs especially when there are different options available and/or large sums of money are involved.

That said I am interested in finding out more details of what would be possible.

Regards,
Graeme

Lowther Group Buy

Just to put things in perspective. I can do 15% off if you can put an order together for 5 pair of drivers, 20% off for a group buy of 10 pairs of drivers or more. Shipping in US would be free, international shipping would be extra, normally in the neighborhood of $70 depending on where they are to be shipped, insurance, and speed required.

If a group buy is put together I can collect the money directly rather than through the group, making it a little easier for everyone. PayPal or credit cards would be accepted. The only drawback is that if there are a large number of orders for a single driver, such as the DX55, I may run out of stock. This would result in a 2 month delay for the later orders. Credit cards would only be charged upon shipment.

Hope you can put something together!

Hope you can put something together!
Mr. Ver Halen, so do I:) The terms you listed sounds really good to me:) Thanks again for this very nice offer:) I have to ask you this though; What if people wants different units? The norm is that it's nearly impossible to agree on a single driverunit when it comes to a group buy:angel: Would it be okay to order different makes within this groupbuy? I am very happy about you wanting to handle the orders. I believe that is the right way to proceed:cool:
Thanks again

Lowther Group Buy

Any mix or match of drivers is acceptable. You can even include the used PM4A's that are available. Special orders can be done as well - you can order 15 ohm silver voice coil DX55's if that is what you want, but it will take an extra 2 months to get them. As long as there is a miniumum of 5 pairs ordered.

Now that should make it easy for ya!

Now that should make it easy for ya!
Absolutely, Jon. This is a great oppertunity to get a pair of Lowthers:) Hope enough people will tune in? It doesnt get better for "sprit-new" drivers, I guess?? Thanks a lot for offering this to the DIY community here. Its really apprieciated:) Come on guys, tell us if you are interested! I have thought about buying a pair of Lowthers since 1975 or something:D If this gb goes, I am in for sure:) All the other brands are just, admit it, substitutes;)
Able to pick any model, should make it easy easy decision?!!

Thank You Mr Nelson, sorry for disturbing you

I have just noticed that Q5 belongs to regulator circuit , not related to the current source block or the amplifier block , so may be we can omit the regulator block ( Z1,Z2,Z3,Z4, D1,R23,R24,C9,C10,Q5)

I have also noticed that this circuit is very similar to your design at 1994 ( 10 watts of Single-Stage Single-Ended Class A amplifier )

Best Regards :)

We cannot be talking about an F2, which has only Q1 through
I am sure the confusion comes from the F2 clone Apassgear and I made. We took us the liberty to add the ZenV4 regulated supply. Thats where the last mosfet comes in:)
Rehad's observations are not too bad, I think? I still hope to see the original schematic, sometime:cool: I cant help thinking about how close to the original that the clone was;)

Steen:)

Edit. Q5 in the last posted schematic should read Q4! Finally I caught Apassgear in making a mistake:D Allthough a minor one.

I have built the amp with slight changes , i take the biasing resistors R4=560k R5=430k and i did the R1=0.47 and R13=2.2 because of lowering the main line current ( The resistor R13 is getting too hot ) . The voltage of the drain was 12.5v at the beginning but after half an hour it became to 12.1v . I guess the resistance of R13 is increasing with the temperature . But I don't know the power of the amp.

Coming to the sound , i have tried the amp with some old low decibel speakers such as Koss and AR 90 . AR 90 is a 88 decibel speaker. I don't understand the sound well with Koss but when i heard the AR90 i get surprised because i was expecting a moderate and a low volume sound . The sound was very very good and not too low . The highs and lows were perfect .

Thank you to Mr Nelson, I think Mr Nelson is an amplifier expert and of course thank you to Apassger and Steenoe they imagine the clone very well and they implemented a very good amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.