Crc Clc ?????? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crc Clc ??????

First time Aleph builder seeking advice. I am building the Brian GT mini as a 3 or a 5...

1. Would you do CLC or CRC power?

2. Should I be concerned that the power boards place the transistors three up and closely spaced... Would it help to spread them out???
Old 11th July 2005, 06:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default CLC...

Personally, I prefer a CLC power supply, I played with both and always got better results from the CLC. However, the L part is going to be much more expensive than the R part.

With respect to the question of the transistors being mounted close together, it kind of depends on your heatsinks ability to 'spread' the heat...if the mounting surface is very thick and the heat distribution is good, you probably don't have to worry as much about whether the transistors are perfectly spaced.

It can't hurt to spread them, but I have predrilled and tapped heatsinks, so I put mine in the obvious, convenient spots...not evenly spaced...

HTH

Stuart
Old 11th July 2005, 06:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was thinking that the perfect solution would be to mount a 1/4 x 3 x 6" coper strip on the heatsinks. I can have the copper ground and the heatsink ground for a perfect fit. Add a little thermal spooge and bob's you uncle....
Old 11th July 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default copper plate works well...

...as long as you don't trap any air underneath. You are right about needing the thermal goo, apparently dry metal to metal is not necessarily a great thermal contact.

Stuart

Hide this!Advertise here!