Phono for Bride of Zen - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2005, 11:44 AM   #11
Ila is offline Ila  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your nice post. As I mentioned before, the phono stage is a project not a ready cooked meal for microwave use (although it functions well).
The measured parameters like distortion, noise, equalisation accuracy are beyond criticism.

I have tried out several MM-cartridges like Linn Adikt or some Ortofon. What you get is a warm and rhythmic sound with a well defined and deep bass performance. The focus of voices or instruments is perfect. What I personally dislike is that voices seem to be attenuated a bit.

This gets better if you cascode the bipolar transistor. For some unknown reason you lose a bit of the rhythmic character.

Ivo Linnenberg
Old 29th July 2005, 04:41 PM   #12
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Ivo, any chance you could post a pdf to scale of the copper side?
In black and white. I will give your layout a shot I just need the coppertracks in B/W to etch a few boards Dont give up, things dont go that fast

Steen
Old 29th July 2005, 07:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default PCB

Hi Steen,

here is the copper side (1:1) of our little test pcb. The pcb measures 100x100mm.

There is no protective shielding layer (single sided pcb); so please use a metal cabinet connected to circuit ground.

Ivo Linnenberg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf copper.pdf (29.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 29th July 2005, 07:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, Ivo

Steen

BTW, very nice little board
Old 18th November 2005, 08:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivo. Just finished the board, it will be put in the same chassis as the BoZ I am working on. How do you adjust the trimpots; what do you measure where? The smaller board is a regulated "Zen-style" psu for the riaa, it will just tap the BoZ's 60v supply and gives a steady 24v. Hope it will be quiet enough
Here is a pic, just in case you care to see

Steen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riaa_for boz.jpg (45.1 KB, 1028 views)
Old 18th November 2005, 11:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
Hi Ivo. Just finished the board, it will be put in the same chassis as the BoZ I am working on. How do you adjust the trimpots; what do you measure where? The smaller board is a regulated "Zen-style" psu for the riaa, it will just tap the BoZ's 60v supply and gives a steady 24v. Hope it will be quiet enough
Here is a pic, just in case you care to see

Steen

Beautiful work Steen. You have more projects on the works than anybody I can remember. Are you also working on the KSA50?
Old 19th November 2005, 07:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yes, Tony I tend to start up a lot of projects. Everytime I see something exciting; I want to build it Somehow I do manage to finish them all, though Not necesarily at the deadline After I finish the F2 and the BoZ with Riaa, I really have to finish my A-X monoblocks and a X-CCS-BosoZ. The NS10 will be a little job in between. After that I am planning on a pair of Aleph 5, monoblocks (but they might turn into a J-fet version if, someone manage to offer some of those power J-fets for sale!). The KSA50 will have to wait a bit. Its not nearly as appealing as Mr. Pass's creations While all that is going on, I enjoy my BosoZ with the Pearl, and my ZenV4 This is indeed a great hobby

Steen
Old 20th November 2005, 02:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Adjustment

Hi !

The small trimmer is used to adjust the operating point. First step is to trim the output voltage to roughly 12V. (measured over the 560 ohm resistor R112/212) After some time fine trim the circuit, so that the voltage over the 12kohm resistor R115/215 is nearly zero. You will see some temperatue drift and the adjustment is somewhat supply voltage dependent.
Old 20th November 2005, 02:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Adjustment
Thanks a lot, Ivo. I will get right to it Hope to have a listen today. Will keep you posted.

Steen
Old 24th November 2005, 01:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I am having a little trouble, getting this up and running. When connecting the preamp, the speakers sounds excactly like a pulse(heartbeat ) the sound follows the volume, and the music follows the pulse! The woofers looks like a beating heart! What can I have done wrong or what can cause this? I also noticed that the supply voltage drops about 5-6 volts, when connected to the RIAA. I just connected another supply, but that didn't help. The only difference from the schematic is that the trimpot is only 200r instead of 250r.
I also tried with 500r, with the same result. Otherwise everything is as per schematic. Also, I cant get a steady reading across r112/r212 and r115/r215. The digits keeps drifting.
Any suggestions?

Steen.

Hide this!Advertise here!