Aleph Ono/ Xono - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2002, 06:55 PM   #1
KDT is offline KDT
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph Ono/ Xono

Can anyone tell me what differences there are between the Aleph Ono and the Xono? Is there a difference in X circuit topology and power supplies?

Thanks

KDT
Old 15th September 2002, 07:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your question is very good, and there seems to be little information on this available.

What little info I have seen indicates (with significant interpolation in my part ) the circuit topology and circuit is the same if not identical ... Differences in topology are likely to be minor (if any)

I would expect the power supplies to be enhanced, and that the main advance lies here.

Petter
Old 15th September 2002, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I guess Pass Labs explain the difference on their site:

"The Xono is based on the design pioneered in the Aleph Ono. The basic Ono design has not changed but been extend and refined. The separate power supply combined with the additional filtering and dual mono power supply design contribute to the lower noise floor and sonic improvements. The main circuit board layout has been completely revised to reduce noise, shorten the signal path and reduce the length of connecting wires. Sonically critical parts have been optimized and upgraded through continued extensive listening tests. "
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th September 2002, 09:19 PM   #4
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

the difference must be that in xono, susy is used..
Old 15th September 2002, 09:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As far as I have understood that SuSy-thing (I am not too deep into that matter), it gains its benefits from a balanced topology which the XOno definitely is not.
Like on the Aleph Ono, the inverted output is generated at the end of the whole thing.
As far as I remember - I had an XOno about one and and a half years ago for some weeks - the amplifier circuit itself is indeed nearly identical to that of the Aleph Ono.
---
Holger
Old 15th September 2002, 09:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How did you like it sonically?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th September 2002, 10:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Certainly one of the best phono amps I have ever listened to.
What I found the most impressive was its extreme dynamics and power, not that sweet and smooth "analogue" sound. It's delivering an enormous amount of detail, too. Great machine.
---
Holger
Old 16th September 2002, 12:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

FWIW this is my interpretation of Ono. Transformers are separate. Active circuit contained on a small board. To achieve shorter signal path, I mounted resistors on the traces' side (actually I made a mistake). DC coupled, MM stage only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ono.jpg (72.7 KB, 6243 views)
Old 16th September 2002, 03:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hey peter daniel
u got yourself one massive mm amp
could u post the schematics
by the way is it discrete or ic
Old 16th September 2002, 03:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The schematic is here http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/aleph/aonoserv0.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!