Single sided PCB for Zen v4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice steenoe, nice :D

And after reading this latest update of this old topic - I also just couldn't resisit ;) :D (altough photos are allready published in some other thread in this forum) to add another photo of brother Zen of the one you have ... Interesting to see same PCB but with different elements built in ...

Attachments

• zen passdiy1.jpg
    zen passdiy1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,088
Wow, Stabist yours is nicer than mine:D I have to admit that I threw this amp together in short time;) I was just curious about the sound of it:) I was not disappointed at all. This layout is really to be recommended, easy to build, cheap and highend sound:cool: What else can you ask for:D I didnt mount the pcb's directly to the heatsinks because I would end up with the 2 hottest mosfets on the same sink. I dont think they are big enough for that. So I had to make the wireconnections.
Nonetheless I am pleased with the performance:)

Steen:cool:

BTW, Brother ZEN can't have to many pics posted:)

I have had the pleasure of listening to the ZenV4 for a while now.
That amp is really capable of playing music;) Forget about all the excotic stuff and build yourself a ZV4:D At this point I am considering 2 ZV4's in parralel per channel, and just drop the other projects, in progress:)

Steen:cool:

I found the Zv4's sound closely related to its cousin the Aleph 3. The Aleph 3 having a tad more refined sound (no caps in the signal path) across the audioband. My Zv4 also was built with no exotic electronic parts. The Zv4 has better bass punch (again A3 is more refined) probably due in part to its mono design up to the AC input and higher PS capacitance.

Steenoe, paralleling (bridging) Zv4s will change its character by introducing odd order harmonics and lowering even order ones. Nelson mentioned this will make an amp less romantic sounding deviating from the signature sound of single-ended amps like the Zens and Alephs. IMO will be better for movies but not for music. Let us know of your findings. The Zv4 is also excellent with movies.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Blues:) As it happens, I just love the romantic sound of the ZV4:xeye: If it is true, as you said, that odd harmonics will creep in when paralleling, I dont think that I will like it! Just was thinking of NP stating, that two in parallel would perform really good. (In the Zen papers:) ) I do not use my HiFi for movies, and it would take a long road to lead me to that:D Whatever, I am listening to Black Sabbath right now:D :D
Now and then I do connect the tv, to my Stereo! When watching "Twister" The sound was great:D What a SPL you can get:D :D But what, I rarely care to watch a movie:) I Want to stare nature, right into its eyes. As you might have noticed, I am a hardcore Flyfisherman:) As for the romantic sound, I guess I better finish the Aleph 5 then? I did all the hard work allready. Take a look at this chassis:) The pic is 2 chassis I made, the big fellow was meant for the Aleph 5:) The small one is doing service as my ZV4.:) :)

Steen.:cool:

Attachments

• 2_chassis.jpg
    2_chassis.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 768
Blues, regarding the tools, it doesnt take a lot. A few hand tools is all thats needed. I had the alu plates cut to size at work and the rest wasnt to difficult to make. A few drill bits and threading bits, is all thats needed! Have a look at the inside of the A5 chassis, with 2 500VA trafo's mounted at the faceplate. They may seem a bit small, but they arent;) The Chassis is quite big and heavy.

Steen.

Attachments

• a5_rear.jpg
    a5_rear.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 855
there is some mistake on kirc
the zvp legs D G S
on the thematic
http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/081030/Nw8HUZP4Cv.png
g leg conected to ground on the kirc sheme d or s can be conected to ground so

some changes

also notice if you plan to make pcb so that mosfets mounted on it and then it placed on rad (without wires) the kirk sheme is not usible
need to mirrow it (i maked that stuped mistake and not mirrowed)
so need to remake the pcb

the right pcb sight from the top of metal layer

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

if someone needs ill post the pdf version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.