X 250 Rules...Less is more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• passx250.jpg
    passx250.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,295
The X250 ain't mine, it belongs to a customer in Ca I am assisting.

The Story........

I am currently building an external Hi End Passive crossover for the mid/horn and slot using Auricaps (very nice). My friend is biamping with the Passlabs X250 on the woofer and a Mac 150 on the mids and highs. On my recommendation he removed the Ashley crossover to see how the X250 would perform in full passive operation.

He just emailed me to say he is in the market for another X250. He might want a better crossover too.

Am I a good salesman or what!

Dr Who is a worthy avatar and the best bit is the Tardis is dimensionally transendentant....Nelson will understand....LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml

Macka

Nelson Pass said:
From Macka's link:
"Further details of this evaluation will be discussed in a project. I must get Neslon Pass to view this thread!"
First you must spell the name right.
:cool:

Oops,
That's what happens when you start typing in the "dark"
We'll fix that typo Master.

Macka

Last edited by a moderator:
Nelson Pass said:
Whenever we get a lousy review, we always pop the champagneand shout, "They spelled the name right!"
Well this time it was a good review and the name got spelt right.

Where's the champagne? Might be time to update the list here 404 Not Found

Macka
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61627&postcount=318
Hi, Ian. I rerouted everything so that I'm now going directly from the balanced outs on the preamp to the balanced inputs on the Pass Labs X250.
Here's my impressions:

-the midrange and everything above seems to have more presence (I guesssome people might call this better soundstage).. It could be that's it's a
better balance (between lows and highs) than what the bi-amp setup wasgiving me. Seems to be more alive. I'd have to say it sounds a little
better. It could also be a real possibility that the McIntosh 150 was nota good power match. Perhaps the Mac veiled the uppers slightly.

-To present an analogy, with the bi-amp setup it sounded like there was someone or something in between me and the speaker. I could still hear the
speakers fine. But now, powered only with the Pass and going all passive it's as if that obstruction has moved out of the way. Maybe not quite so
dramatic, but I do notice a difference.

-there seems to be better separation between the channels. Could be just because there's better clarity in the Mids and on up.

Yes less is more but it just reconfirmed that one of my next upgrades needs to be to replace the McIntosh for another Pass X250. I'm always looking
for more.

Marcello
Whenever we get a lousy review, we always pop the champagne
It seems to happen often.In the last (June 2005) issue of the Italian Hi-Fi magazine "Suono", in the X250.5 review [do you know?! ;-)] Peter Walker of Quad became "Peter Walzer", a sort of dance... :-(

Marcello

Attachments

• suono.jpg
    suono.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 704
Suono N.381

Yes but they closed the article with a simple " Grazie Nelson." He only cares that they spelled his name correctly. The publishers photographs of the product are some of the best I have ever seen.... I can almost hear Nelson saying, "What's not to like!"

Cyclotronguy

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tortello said:
It seems to happen often.
In the last (June 2005) issue of the Italian Hi-Fi magazine "Suono", in the X250.5 review [do you know?! ;-)] Peter Walker of Quad became "Peter Walzer", a sort of dance... :-(
It looked like a great review, but then I don't read Italianvery well. If it was a bad review, don't tell me.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.