Pearl Phono up and running (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, i assume because they only make a few. NSK makes thousands and thousands of them. and even they are expensive (they are like the black gate of bearings.)

its expensive to make one or two pieces of that high quality. i would be willing to buy a few of those bearings and ship them to people (not for free of course, you pay price and shipping). they would make KILLER tt bearings. they are pretty large, i would say 2.5" diameter, maybe 1" inner opening diamter. they are pretty heavy and have NO slop. this type of bearing is used for the threaded rods on a cnc machine and the bearing is SOLID, the sleave and collar dont move in relation to eachother, even by thousanths of an inch. it would be way overkill for a TT, but thats the whole point :)

here is a quick dirty rendering of what it looks like:

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 357
well, i know jack about turntables, but what i would do would be to make a TT base, mdf or whatever. make a pocket that the small end of the bearing would set inside of. then, on the larger end of the bearing, you would use the two mounting holes ( i didnt add those in the drawing) to bolt the platter to the bearing. and the bearing could just sit on the base.

when i get home i can make a quickie rendering and exploded view of what i mean. but like i said, im not sure how traditionally tt platters affix to their base. the ones ive seen just float and arent premanently attached...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.