Threshold 4000 & Receiver attached to same speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Threshold 4000 & Receiver attached to same speakers

I would like to use the same speakers that are connected to my Threshold 4000 for multi channel and surround sound. I am thinking of connecting a quality receiver to a 10 amp. bradley controls electric relay (and then to the speakers) which would open when the 4000 is powered. I am afraid if I use a 10 amp relay between the 4000 and the speakers it will denegrate the sound (I am now using quality cable and connections). Would the output of the receiver through the speakers and then to the non-powered 4000 harm it?
If I set this up, is there an optimal placement of the relay in the curcuit to the speakers (closer to amp. or speaker)?
Some of you may wonder why I do not purchase a new premium multi-channel amplifier; my budget is the answer!
Thanks for any advice!:bigeyes:

It's possible that I'm not understanding your post, but...
All things considered, it's not exactly optimal to switch a pair of speaker between two different sources. That said--and assuming that I understood your post correctly--I think you're going about it the wrong way. The thing to do is to put the speakers on the Common contacts of the relay, and put the receiver on the Normally Open contacts and the Threshold on the Normally Closed contacts. That way neither amplifier tries to drive the output of the other.
From your post, I assume that the Threshold is used for stereo listening. If that is the case, you need not actuate the relay at all. The default position for the relay is such that the contacts are set for the Threshold to play.
If you want to listen to the receiver, you'll need to turn on whatever circuit you use to actuate the relay, perhaps a simple power supply hooked to the convenience outlet on the back of the receiver. This will automatically disconnect the Threshold and connect the speakers to the receiver.

Grey

Thanks! That sounds like a safer way. I was trying to avoid sending a signal through the relay when useing the Threshold. The relay is rated at 10 amps, but anything in the path may effect the sound. I've got the speakers connected with Levenson cable and gold plated spades silver soldered. I use the Threshold when I want the best sound and have money to pay the electric bill!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.