BOZ power supply - is it good enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Friends,

I am building a prototype of the Bride of Zen.
I understand that the quality of sound of this project is mainly determined by the quality of the power supply.
So I would like to ask anyone experienced in this preamp if the power supply proposed in the Nelson Pass article is really so good.
My doubts are based on the fact that the power supply of the Aleph L or P are quite more complex.
I would love to stay simple, but if it is not possible ...

Any suggestion would be very welcome and appreciated.

Kind regards,

beppe61

I find it is perfectly adequate. I build mine with a 12VA trafo. This unit does get kinda warm, so you might go for a slightly bigger one.
The voltage though is perfactly stable and the unit stays one for a couple of seconds after the power is disconnected so buffering is adequate. You can apply another RC stage ofcourse if you want to reduce the ripple even further, but mine is already dead silent with no input connected.

good luck,

Hans-Willem

Attachments

• boz_inside2.jpg
    boz_inside2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 485
Originally posted by beppe61
My doubts are based on the fact that the power supply of the Aleph L or P are quite more complex.

If you dissect the Aleph preamp ps schematics down, there isn't actually much difference between their design and the BOZ ps designs. The Aleph P 1.0 ps is pretty much the same with the exception of an added pi filter before the regulator. The Aleph L is the same as the Aleph P 1.0 except for substituting a mosfet for a bipolar transistor in the regulator. The Aleph P 1.7 is the same as the Aleph L, but minus the pi filter and adding an extra unregulated supply for the display and electronic controls.

As far as the BOZ ps goes, about the only improvement you could make, without going to a much more sophisticated and complex regulator system, is adding a pi filter before the regulator. The BOZ ps may look overly simple, but it performes very well.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks very much.

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your very kind and greatly valuable help.
I think I will stick with the original PS schema in the article.
Actually Nelson Pass claims a ripple rejection of 100dB :eek: with this schema.
Moreover I will study better the other PSs of the Aleph versions mentioned (they seem more refined).
On this occasion I would like to thank sincerely Mr. Nelson Pass for disclosing such great projects to be devoured by hungry DIYers.

Thank you all again.:D

Kind regards,

beppe61 :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.