Luvlee Pearls - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2002, 07:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Luvlee Pearls

Hello there,

I've gathered up most of the parts for the Pearl Phono stage. I have purchased Audyn-Cap MKP-QS at 10uF, it will be the output capacitor. Is this good enough(does it let the side down!)?, should I be setting my sights on the MCap variety or equivalent.

I would like to hear some comments from those who have tweaked this unit, and / or listened to it.

Cheers.

Brownlow
Old 6th September 2002, 12:59 PM   #2
Ren is offline Ren  United States
diyAudio Member

Brownlow,

I'm not familiar with the Audyn-Cap capacitors you mentioned. I built the Pearl using exactly the parts recommended in Wayne's article, including the AEON output coupling caps. I think those 10 uF caps were ~ $5 US each.

I haven't tried any swapping, but I can tell you I'm very happy with the overall sound of the Pearl. My thought would be to just go ahead with the caps you have. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Ren
Old 6th September 2002, 01:19 PM   #3
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

AFAIK the Audyn, MCap, Aeon, Solen, ... all are essentially the same cap from SCR.

But Audyn and Mundorf MCap also have the better KP-Sn foil capacitor from SCR, as opposed to the MKP.

I suggest a 2.2uF KP-Sn for output coupling.
Old 7th September 2002, 06:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ren and Werner,

Thanks for your replies, I was just checking to make sure the Audyn would be suitable. I think that I will proceed with the Pearls. I'll need to order the boards and take it from there.

Cheers.

Brownlow

P.S. What PSU are you running with the Pearls?
Old 8th September 2002, 10:07 PM   #5
Ren is offline Ren  United States
diyAudio Member

Brownlow,

I built the PS using exactly the parts described in the Pearl article. I put the PS in a separate chassis, connected to the main chassis with a DC power umbilical cord... absolutely no hum once I sorted out a grounding issue.

BR,

Ren
Old 30th July 2004, 10:06 AM   #6
dhole is offline dhole  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there Brownlow

I am in the uk too and cant source the AEON caops . I was wondering how your pearl build went. did you use the audyn caps ? and are they sounding any good ?
I got my boards through today so i am really keen to get going. I am also sorting the resistros that arent so standard that being the 3.75k and 909r etc where did you source yours from ?

sorry about all the questions but as you can probaly tell This is my first build.
regards
dave
Old 30th July 2004, 05:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

The cap was an Audyn MKP-QS PP which was 5%, which have actually replaced my Mundorf MCap PP 3%. When I used the Mundorfs, they sounded a bit dry for my tastes. The Audyn was more open, but I am sure you can do better than this cap.

What you could do is to look in CPC or Farnell in the UK, as I think they stock Welwyn resistors. I brought Dale resistors online from Welborne Labs who are in the US. They are a decent choice for the money. The amount you will need for your Pearls will be ok for Customs clearance.

Also, the transistors I brought from Schuro in Germany. I have found them good, they dont always respond to emails as they are very busy. Be persistent, when trying to place your order with them. You will need to set up a bank transfer. Apparently, from the 1st July 2003, bank charges between EU states were meant to be abolished. I have not ordered since June last year so I could not tell you if this is true.

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers.

Brownlow
Old 31st July 2004, 02:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Another thing you can try is to bypass the caps with a small, good quality polystyrene or polypropylene cap. A .1 or even .01 uF cap of good quality can make a nifty upgrade to an existing cap. Generally you can do this pretty cheaply.

Grey
Old 31st July 2004, 03:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Using Solens in mine....

but didn't get them until after I had the Pearl up and running. Used a couple of electrolytics back-to-back until I got around to swapping them out with the Solens at 10uF.

Its quite an excellent preamp and I've since added a couple of Lundahl step-up transformers for my Denon MC cart. There's sufficient gain for my preamp, too.

Cheers,

David
Old 31st July 2004, 07:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Grey,

What cap would you suggest to bypass the output coupling cap with, any of the usual suspects?

Cheers.

Brownlow

Hide this!Advertise here!