Luvlee Pearls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,

I've gathered up most of the parts for the Pearl Phono stage. I have purchased Audyn-Cap MKP-QS at 10uF, it will be the output capacitor. Is this good enough(does it let the side down!)?, should I be setting my sights on the MCap variety or equivalent.

I would like to hear some comments from those who have tweaked this unit, and / or listened to it.

Cheers.

Brownlow

Brownlow,

I'm not familiar with the Audyn-Cap capacitors you mentioned. I built the Pearl using exactly the parts recommended in Wayne's article, including the AEON output coupling caps. I think those 10 uF caps were ~ $5 US each.

I haven't tried any swapping, but I can tell you I'm very happy with the overall sound of the Pearl. My thought would be to just go ahead with the caps you have. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Ren

Ren and Werner,

Thanks for your replies, I was just checking to make sure the Audyn would be suitable. I think that I will proceed with the Pearls. I'll need to order the boards and take it from there.

Cheers.

Brownlow

P.S. What PSU are you running with the Pearls?

Hi there Brownlow

I am in the uk too and cant source the AEON caops . I was wondering how your pearl build went. did you use the audyn caps ? and are they sounding any good ?
I got my boards through today so i am really keen to get going. I am also sorting the resistros that arent so standard that being the 3.75k and 909r etc where did you source yours from ?

sorry about all the questions but as you can probaly tell This is my first build.
regards
dave

Hi Dave,

The cap was an Audyn MKP-QS PP which was 5%, which have actually replaced my Mundorf MCap PP 3%. When I used the Mundorfs, they sounded a bit dry for my tastes. The Audyn was more open, but I am sure you can do better than this cap.

What you could do is to look in CPC or Farnell in the UK, as I think they stock Welwyn resistors. I brought Dale resistors online from Welborne Labs who are in the US. They are a decent choice for the money. The amount you will need for your Pearls will be ok for Customs clearance.

Also, the transistors I brought from Schuro in Germany. I have found them good, they dont always respond to emails as they are very busy. Be persistent, when trying to place your order with them. You will need to set up a bank transfer. Apparently, from the 1st July 2003, bank charges between EU states were meant to be abolished. I have not ordered since June last year so I could not tell you if this is true.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers.

Brownlow

Using Solens in mine....

but didn't get them until after I had the Pearl up and running. Used a couple of electrolytics back-to-back until I got around to swapping them out with the Solens at 10uF.

Its quite an excellent preamp and I've since added a couple of Lundahl step-up transformers for my Denon MC cart. There's sufficient gain for my preamp, too.

Cheers,

David

Anything that floats your boat, man. You can use a boutique cap from whoever is regarded as being cool this week or a regular styrene like the ones Mouser carries. Given that small values of styrene caps are cheap, you can buy a selection for a dollar or three and try one after another...or all of them together. As long as the voltage rating is adequate, nothing is going to blow up and you can fiddle to your heart's content.

Grey

Many people use a rule of thumb that you use a value 10% of the value that you're trying to bypass (that way you're working within the +-10% tolerance for a lot of parts--don't fret about what happens if the part is already +10%).
I run by different rules, myself, but it's a reasonable guideline.

Grey

Cheers for the info Brownlow

i have got some audyns on order now. I am slightly concerned about my choice of resistors i have sorted them from farnell and rapid in the uk . They are the ones you mentioned but they are 0.1% tolerance. I am presuming they will be fine . I noticed you were using the dale ones that are 0.5w and 1w which ones did you use ? I only ask because the manual specifies 0.25w. Im sorry If these are silly questions but I really want to get this right.
thanks alot for your assistance up to now.
dave

Hi Dave,

The ones that I used were 0.5W, which is ok to use in the Pearls, basically the rating of the resistors is 0.25W, if you have these resistors you can use them too, just don't go any lower (e.g. 0.125W).

As for the 0.1% tolerance resistors, they are not really necessary for this phono stage and probably more expensive. If the cost is ok to you then why not use them?!

Hope this helps :)

Cheers.

Brownlow

Hi there people

Thanks for all the help. i have all the parts now. Just in the building stages. I am now thinking about parts for the psu . I have a toroidal 240 in 2X 30v out. I presume ican use the same components as the pass design after the toroidal. Im not too sure about the components befor the toroidal. Can anyone advise ? Brownlow perhaps.
thanks in advance.
regards
dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.