Zen 4 heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found two old heatsinks, on which I do not have the heat dissipation data.
They measure H x W x D, 220 mm x 200 mm x 70 mm.
Would there be a chance that they are able cool down the Boz 4 @ 2 x 30 watt or 2 x 25 watts?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

one sink for each side

tanx :redhot:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
2Bak

I use the size:

H: 250 mm
W: 230 mm
D: 65 mm
Number of fins: 18

Two FETs are fitted on one sink--average 2A each at DC supply of 32V.
It's rather hot--about 50 degC at room temp 27 degC.
Mine should have been a bit bigger.

I recommend you to increase the size.

Hope this helps...

JH

I'm not quite sure what stack them face to face means...

I was rather thinking about something like this and placing a fan at one end.

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I use both EI and toroidal transformers.
I prefer EI type though its physical size is big. My ears detect a bit relaxed-muscle sound with the EI type.

During DIY life, I have been much concerned on the poor quality of transformers. I have been kind of short-tempered mostly with the transformers. If the amp designer recommends, e.g. 300VA transformer, I’d like the VA size of one step bigger. And, I prefer the transformer made for the 50Hz AC supply. A well-known story is that The 50Hz AC transformer is no problem when it is moved to the 60Hz AC zone, but the 60Hz AC transformer is almost always problem when moved to the 50Hz zone.

Hope you to check and select the right one.

JH

about the transormer

Dear 2BAK,

Having built my second JLH 10W amplifiers with EI transformers, I must say that the humming of the transformers I used is really frustrating (again). But this time I'm aware that the humming of the transformer is the problem and not the earthing, the circuit or something like that.

I am solving the problem right now, by placing the transformers in a separate housing.

Just curious, how heavy is the transformer?

Wishing you all the best.

Luuk Boessenkool

Dear Jan,

Who knows.....

At least for my amp, I know for certain that the EI transformer is the problem. With all wires still connected I moved the transformer around and when the transformer was outside the casing, the hum disappeared.

All I meant to say was, that with such a transformer hum is a real posibllity.

Greatings,

Luuk Boessenkool

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Luuk

Hum when the transformer is installed inside the casing and no hum when installed outside the casing...? Then, your transformer is fine because the transformer outside the casing is OK. I would like to say that the hum is due to an improper wiring arrangement inside the casing.

JH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.