The Penultimate Zen (ZenV4) with passive preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building this power amp and just wondering does it work OK without preamplification? My sources are regular a-piece-of-crap Sony cd-player and a diy phono stage.

So my question is should I build an active preamp or will this one go just fine with a passive one?

Ps. If you are interest on my chassis design then you should follow this link .

Thank you for answering by advance!

sella
The Penultimate Zen (ZenV4) with passive preamp Post #1 I am building this power amp and just wondering does it work OK without preamplification? My sources are regular a-piece-of-**** Sony cd-player and a diy phono stage.

So my question is should I build an active preamp or will this one go just fine with a passive one?

Ps. If you are interest on my chassis design then you should follow this link .

Thank you for answering by advance!
--------------------------------------------------------------
you must first answear the question what is the purpose of a pre-amp
then you can make the decision on your own, there are wide range of views
regarding this question

now the phono stage needs an amp to raise the signal level to most other line
sources levels this would mean an extra small signal amp if there isnt one already built into your turntable which you could build into your power amp with no need for an extra pre-amp in a separate box all other sources should work
fine if not then again certain adjustment could be done in the power-amp too

Joined 2002
Paid Member
mastertech said:
you must first answear the question what is the purpose of a pre-amp
then you can make the decision on your own, there are wide range of views
regarding this question

now the phono stage needs an amp to raise the signal level to most other line
sources levels this would mean an extra small signal amp if there isnt one already built into your turntable which you could build into your power amp with no need for an extra pre-amp in a separate box all other sources should work
fine if not then again certain adjustment could be done in the power-amp too [/B]

hi mastertech,

A couple of quick tips. ;)

There is a "quote" check box on the botton right hand corner of each post. If you click on this before you select "post reply" you get a nice quote as above.

Also, the fullstop key is usually found somewhere bewteen the "M" and "shift" key on the right hand side of the keyboard. By using this properly, people may be able to understand what you are writing. :eek:

How about telling us a little about yourself. :confused:

I am building this power amp and just wondering does it work OK without preamplification? My sources are regular a-piece-of-**** Sony cd-player and a diy phono stage.

Most CD players cant deliver the voltage needed for a Zen. If memory serves me correct it needs 3 Volts min. Also, and just as important, the volume control on ****cd players kills the dynamic range when turned down. Thats why you always let the vol on the cd go at full throttle. I guess your phonostage needs additional amplification too. The best advice for you, is to built a BosoZ, like eLarson recommended.

Steen:)

PSU for my ZEN4?

I am going to use a 500VA 2x35VAC transformer for two channels.

Could someone draw me a wiring diagram about what is the best way to wire my amp to prevent ground loops and other unwanted effects?

Make it simple because I have pratically any EE studies.

Me and my friend drafted psu for single transformer which drives both channels. Could someone check that we reached the original idea?

Attachments

• zen-v4-f6_muunnos.gif
    zen-v4-f6_muunnos.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 231
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.