Improved/simplified X-100????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this idea on the way to work this morning.
Its a horisontal version of the X-100 I think...?
You dont have to use any complimentary pairs or anything.Totally balanced symmetrical pushpull amp with folded cascode fronstage and true complimantary-only n-channel- outputstage.
This is probably the next amp to build for me.
Mr Pass??? Any thoughts on this one???

I guess my question is borderering to blasphemy, but I think its a very intresting design. Seems simpler than what the X serie amp from Passlabs seems to be, but still retaining the basic qualities of Mr Pass excellent amps.
Its just a thought I had. Nobody has any comments????

(I meant X-150.)

Nobody has any comments????
Sure:) Here comes this "Circleguy" out of nowhere and spits out sch's like mad. I am impressed, i guess a lot of us are. Even NP might be impressed, sure Mr. Rollins has to be, he always tells us to built something on our own:D Well, if all your schematichs would turn out to be great sounding amps, I can only say that you are quite a genious, and I mean it:cool: Where do you get all these ideas from?? For sure, if one is dedicated enough, you can put the needed efforts into a thing like this. But still, you are amazing:cool: Lets hear some of these amps playing:) I for one would love to lend an ear:cool:

Steen:)

What kind of wattage could you expect, as drawn? Do you think it will sound like an X-amp? How much bias will it need ?
The circuit i drew earlier was just an idea. You probably need more output fets to take the power. With 2 x 50 volts powersupplies you will get 120 - 150 watt into 8 ohms. I have not built that amp so I have no idea if It really works. My gutfeeling says so, and so does my experience.
Several of my other designs in other threads work very good. One of them being the best I have heard in my home to date. Lively, dynamic and glorious detail, yet smooth and very musical "organic" sounding. You have to consider that my system is no highend at all, and thats just what I think of it. I have tried it on another system and it sounded pretty good but not really up to my friends modified TRANSCENDENT OTL. The OTL hade more of the above mentioned qualities and a bit more power. My amp had at that time two OPA 2604 as phasesplitters and I think they played a major role in the degradation of the sound. The amp allways sounded better with better frontend/phasesplitter. Soo with the SUSY frontend it should come pretty close to a Passlabs X150 or something. (I hope)
The bias is easy adjusted during playing, so that is something I will adjust to what sounds best in my system.
Probably heavy class A biasing sounds best. Its probably only a matter of how much heatsinking you can afford.

steenoe said:
Sure:) Here comes this "Circleguy" out of nowhere and spits out sch's like mad. I am impressed, i guess a lot of us are. Even NP might be impressed, sure Mr. Rollins has to be, he always tells us to built something on our own:D Well, if all your schematichs would turn out to be great sounding amps, I can only say that you are quite a genious, and I mean it:cool: Where do you get all these ideas from?? For sure, if one is dedicated enough, you can put the needed efforts into a thing like this. But still, you are amazing:cool: Lets hear some of these amps playing:) I for one would love to lend an ear:cool:

Steen:)
Thanks!! Very kind words. :) :)
Im very happy if I can inspire anybody or give anybode any great ideas.

Thanks!! Very kind words.
CircleGuy, That was the intention:) Well, you cant blame any on this forum for not participating in a lively manner on all your schematics;) I for one, cant understand the heck of what you try to do:xeye: But I did manage to follow Nelsons descriptions of the Zen amps! So I guess, That if your schematics would work, it is above the DIYforum users capabilities to comprehend:xeye:
Just speaking for myself, at this point, but I am impressed by your schematics, nonetheless.
All the best,

Steen.

steenoe said:

CircleGuy, That was the intention:) Well, you cant blame any on this forum for not participating in a lively manner on all your schematics;) I for one, cant understand the heck of what you try to do:xeye: But I did manage to follow Nelsons descriptions of the Zen amps! So I guess, That if your schematics would work, it is above the DIYforum users capabilities to comprehend:xeye:
Just speaking for myself, at this point, but I am impressed by your schematics, nonetheless.
All the best,

Steen.
They are not so hard to understand, really! Its just not the normal way of thinking when it comes to ampdesign. As Mr Pass said.
It is very likely that the circlotron idea is confusing to a lot of
people - it takes a while to wrap your head around it.
It is two "normal" CFB-pairs working in a balanced circuit with the speakers in between.
As I said in an earlier post. Tubecad.com has a lot of good info on the circlotron.
Its not magic or anything, just not very common.

They are not so hard to understand, really! Its just not the normal way of thinking when it comes to ampdesign. As Mr Pass said.
Hmmm, Mr. Circleguy, who are you really???
This question keeps poppin up in my head. I have a feeling that you are hiding something. Please correct me if I am wrong! I just cant see to make you fit in at this level, from out of nowhere:cool:
I may be totally off the line on this, but nonetheless, I am sure You can understand the concerns on this subject??
Please Circleguy, enlighten us all!

Steen.:)

:devilr: :darkside: :ghost: :santa2: ????

Hmmm, Mr. Circleguy, who are you really???
This question keeps poppin up in my head. I have a feeling that you are hiding something. Please correct me if I am wrong! I just cant see to make you fit in at this level, from out of nowhere
I may be totally off the line on this, but nonetheless, I am sure You can understand the concerns on this subject??
Please Circleguy, enlighten us all!
Im just an ordinary man fooling around with some obscure circuits. Why should I be hiding anything??? Is this question for real????:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.